Wife's X zone buck.

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
Modoc is my "happy place" and this year it was a good place for my wife as well. She passed up many average bucks hoping for one of those big ones we know live in the zone. We did get a glimpse of an absolute monster...but he made it to the trees before we could get on him. In the end, and after many miles and early mornings, this buck looked good enough and she lowered the boom on him. She sure set the bar much higher than i did with my first buck. This may have been her first one, but I'm pretty sure there will be many more to follow!
IMG_0829.JPG

Fredezee

Reaction score
Wow! good for her! Congratulations! wish my wife would go hunting with me.

Smithb9841

Reaction score
Nice buck that looks like a really big body on that deer!! Congrats to her! You spoiled her with a great first deer!

Ridn9high

Reaction score
Congrats to you and your wife. I bet a lot of memories were made on that hunt.

cjack

Reaction score
Wow! Great looking muley, congratulations to the wife!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
That's a SMOKIN buck! Heartiest congratulations to you for taking her and to her for holding the bar high. GREAT JOB!!!! :toast-yellow:

tylercreek2

Reaction score
ice,,,,,,,, hope to draw x-2 next year supposed to be nice geeze

Last edited:

Quiet

Reaction score
Awesome buck! I'm always curious as to gear used: rifle, cartridge and scope...shot distance. I'm in the market for a backcountry rig, if not this year (while I sort out my .30-06 Rem 760), then next. Sounds like a great trip.

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
Awesome buck! I'm always curious as to gear used: rifle, cartridge and scope...shot distance. I'm in the market for a backcountry rig, if not this year (while I sort out my .30-06 Rem 760), then next. Sounds like a great trip.
Browning X-bolt 270WSM w/synthetic stock. 75 yard shot - shooting RL-26 powder pushing Barnes 129grn LRX copper at 3350fps/ Not a muzzle break fan but did have the barrel Mag-na-Ported. Light weight, extremely flat shooting, tack driver with very little kick.

Smithb9841

Reaction score
Nice! I love the short mags I bought a 300wsm after my brother got a 270 wsm I know a lot of guys don’t like the short mags but I think they’re great they take a few Inches off the gun and shorten the action. Make the gun a tad lighter. My next gun will be a 270 wsm to go with my 270 win and 300wsm

Cal Sniper

Reaction score
Congrats to your wife on a great buck. Hope my can join me sometime in the up coming years.
In my younger days I had the same curious questions as Quiet. Some words of wisdom is buy several guns of different weights and calibers and see whats best for you. I too is a big fan of the short mags. I love my 7wsm although it has fallen short from its brothers the 270 & 300 wsm. Its amongst the best for back country. It's light weight, packs a pounch, hits up 500yrds, and is accurate. Thats everything I need. I love Leuopold scopes. Still using factory loads with no complaint. Those who don't like short mags are missing out. I have my regular long mags too as well as regular shorts but just can't leave my short mag at home to carry my others. Enough said. This is what's best for me, it isn't a debate, it's only to help others who have the same questions have more ideas on choosing what may be best for them. Hope this helps.

P304X4

Reaction score
Congrats to your wife on a great first buck!! May you have many more successful hunts and fun times together. :thumbs up2:

Advertisement

Top Bottom