wild boar pulled pork rolls

jindydiver

G'day
Thought I would share last nights meal, or at least pics of it :)

I was out for a walk on Thursday evening and came across a youngish boar. Bad luck for him, good luck for me.

I took his hams and backstraps home.

A couple of days ago I boned out the legs and vacuum packed them, and made stock with the bones.
Yesterday I took the topside and silverside parts of a leg, rubbed in some seeded mustard, browned them in a casserole pot, added onions, stock, apple juice and apple cider vinegar. A paper cover is put down on the liquid and lid on and into the oven the pot goes. 105c from 10ish am till 5pm then the meat is pulled out of the pot (carefully) and rested wrapped in foil and the juice in the pot strained into a container. The onions and some of the juice goes back in the pot and whizzed up, a pinch of Chinese 5 spice and a tablespoon of flour added and a sauce is cooked up.
Served up with some salads and cheeses on Italian rolls

The juice left over is going to be added to stock and some left over meat in a risotto tonight

Schnitt

I make mine in a slow cooker (its a pressure cooker, but I just use it to slow cook). I slice a white onion and layer it on the bottom of the pot. Then put a chunk of meat on top, and then add my powdered seasoning... and if it is wild boar (which is super lean), then I add oil. Let it cook for ~6 hours, then pull apart, then cook another 2 hours for a soft texture. Also, i often take the lid off and heat it for a while for the liquid to reduce to a sticky slop.
My seasoning has: Salt, Coconut sugar, Paprika, Chili powder, Black pepper, granulated garlic, Onion powder, Hickory smoke and Oregano. It comes out super good.
PART_1499912616989_PART_1499912612447_IMG_20170712_185841_334.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom