wild turkey

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I know how I want to cook my bird but what should the internal temp be to make sure it is done but not overdone? What temp for breast and for the thigh too?

mrgadget

Reaction score
I just brined a 13# turkey (domestic) for the first time, and put it on my gas barbeque rotisserie.

I was the best turkey I've ever had. I just had it again for lunch. First time I've ever seen white meat that was done but JUICY.

Since yours is wild, I'll bet it would be even more dry than a domestic one. Try this link to get the recipe and instructions for the brining process. Works great on pork, too!
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/BriningPoultry.htm

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'm afraid 180 will give me nothing but turkey leather. This is a wild bird with little fat and no injected moisture like a store bought bird. Most internet recipes say a wild bird should be between 150-160. Just wanted some personal experience to confirm.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I like my Wild Turkey over ice, the colder the better. A little bit of soda water with it is nice to temper the fire when you're not up to full strength, but don't dilute too much.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Completely agree Speck. Only I do prefer a little Jimmy Beam, or better yet, Makers.

Widux

Reaction score
I'm with SDHNTR re 180 and Speck re WT over ice(101)-since i breast our birds and the lose protection from drting out and wild birds are drier anyway- so i often grille the breast-- brush with seasoned butter( Tony's and salt etc) or pound and stuff with cheese and hot peepers wrap with bacon and grille over med hot fire till almost done-- firm but not dry-sliuce thin and enjoy-- also can cut steaks= pound and fry like chix fried stuff- serve with white sc or i also make turkey marsala with them. legs i slow cook or make sausage -chili out of.. most important-- kill the bird first--

Widux

Reaction score
Quick answer to first question--I'd go with 160 Max--150 better and let it rest a while-

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom