Wilderness Unlimited Foundation Summer Camp

dlovato

Reaction score
As most of you know who have read my posts in the past, I have been pretty "bummed" about the drop in hunter numbers - we are collectively (outdoorsman/hunters/fishers) a endangered species.

My family (Me, my daughter and son, and even my wife) had the opportunity to do something about it this last week, and it was clearly the most fun, and productive thing I've ever had the opportunity to do to ensure a new crop of kids grow up with a true love of the outdoors.

The summer camp for kids ages 8-14 was put on by the Wilderness Unlimited Foundation, a non-profit offshoot of Wilderness unlimited on one of the WU ranches. Totally staffed by volunteers. About 40 campers, another 8 Jr Counselors (my son and daughter did this), 3 main adult counselors (for each "tribe" - broken down by age groups) and another dozen adult volunteers.

Man, I wish they had this when I was growing up. Everything was covered over the full week - 7am to 11pm packed with activities each day:

* Fishing (regular & fly fishing)
* Archery
* Trap/Shotgun Shooting
* Rifle Range (everything from 22's to an AR15/270/etc)
* Hiking
* Falconry
* Map & Compass
* Entomology/Fly tying
* Wildlife identification
* Antler/Horn Scoring
* Blood Tracking
* Conservation (wood duck boxes, and more)
* Arts & Crafts - painting decoy's, tie-dying, painting, etc, etc
* Sports - Volleyball/kickball/swimming/etc
* Plus the campfires - movie nights (projector on a whiteboard, etc)
* And much much more.

It was TOO much fun. This is the second year WUF has done this, and it looks like it will happen again next year.

If you have kids in this age group (8-14) keep next summer in mind. They will learn a lot and have more fun than you can imagine.

Anyway, here's a bunch of pictures that will give you an taste of what me and my kids just finished helping with...

- Darryl

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Take a bow dlovato :not-worthy:, that is so kewl that you help get kids hooked on the outdoors.

Please let us know when the next camp is so folks can volunteer to help.

jindydiver

Reaction score
I wish we could get something like that happening over here. If we tried I can imagine how many protesters would show up :(

dlovato

Reaction score
Thanks.

My dad taught me a long time ago that:

"You get out of something what you put into it - nothing more, and nothing less"

Little things add up - hunters are outnumbered, and always will be, so anything we can do to bring new people into the sport we love, pays benefits over time. Take a kid hunting, don't do anything to enflame the anti's, give back when you have the opportunity to.

It's all good. If we all do something - no matter how trivial it may seem, it will help. We have to stick together, and bring new people into our passion - we will all benefit from simple things - lots of small efforts - in the long run.

- Darryl

tpuig

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
This is awesome. What a great place to introduce kids in a positive way. If you need volunteers, let me know.

Top Bottom