Wilderness Unlimited

Z-man

Reaction score
Is there anyone who has joined Wilderness Unlimited or know of anyone who has been part of this organization?  It is advertised in Fishing & Hunting News and Western Outdoor News.  Any info would be helpful.  
Thanks!

jerry d

Reaction score
fonesplicr,

Don't know anything about them but if you'll go to http://www.duckhunter.net and scroll down to the Calif. Flyway with your question, I'll bet you'll get some responses.

Bet some of those fellows are members or have had experience with WU. And they ain't bashful!!! They'll tell it like it is!!!

Good luck....

(Edited by jerry d at 1:01 am on July 10, 2001)

Z-man

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry d,  I'll give that a shot.  I'll pass on any info I find out just in case anyone else out there is interested.

J

jpk123

Im a member,and have mixed feelings about it.Alot depends on where you are located and what you want to hunt,most of their properties are north of central ca and those which are not are difficult to get on during weekends,but if your able to take time and travel they do offer some good hunting.let me know if you need more specific info.

David

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with WU.  What is the upland bird hunting like on their properties?  Is it worth the $$$?

Fubar

Reaction score
David  Check out the Big Game Forum. I think there is info on the third page and farther back about WU.             Fubar

Bama Born

Reaction score
I joined WU in January so this is my first season hunting their properties. I primarily hunt upland game. So far I have not had a problem getting reservations.

The ranches I've visited so far have not held as many birds as some public land I hunt. The terrain has been rugged to point of being un-huntable. I plan on visiting as many properties as possible this season and hopefully fiding a few worth going back to.

My main complaints so far:

Limited to 5 guests per year for bird hunting. If you bring a guest you can't make reservations more than 48 hours in advance.

Most properties are more than 200 miles from So. Cal.

I don't know any other members.(They do offer a system to introduce to other members in your area)

I'll give it a couple seasons and decide if it's worth being a member.

Fubar

Reaction score
Bama Born  Welcome to Jesses Forum. I know WU used to have meetings for its members in Orange County. I went there one time with my friend. he did a turkey hunting seminar for them. The meetings were to introduce members to each other and talk about the club.             Fubar

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
its been a couple of seasons since i was a member but i hunted five different properties for quail and chukar.

never heard or saw a chukar. that was upsetting.

reservations were never a problem but the properties were either great or terrible.  two up in coalinga (i think they were los gatos and ashurst) were very good for quail.  triple "e" was an absolute waste of time, there was not even any tweetie birds.  twin peaks was decent.  the nice thing about los gatos that we discovered was prime blm land access that did not seem to have any pressure.  we only drove past palm ranch which looked pretty good.  we did not hear good things from the t.d. ranch, but we also did not experience it and again that was 2 yrs ago.  have you tried goldpan, montgomery, piute, and or cummings?  they are all about 150 miles from L.A. and have about 30,000 acres total.  we only had a chance to hunt the one that allows multiple access, i think it was montgomery.  we did well on quail with a lot of work.  pretty steep terrain.

most of the good properties from what i heard by other members are up north.

i never did get to try the duck and pheasant down south.

i remember pretty well all the good spots that we hit quail on the above mentioned properties.  i'm sure i can dig around and find the WU maps that i marked and give exact locations if the properties are still around.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I've been a member of WU for 2 years. You'll find that some people love the club and others hate it, personaly I love it. I've only hunted Quail once and it was at Triple E, I got my limit in just 1 hour. I seen one covey of Quail that had about 50 birds in it, i spent the whole time working the singles and ended up getting my limit. I havn't tried any other ranches for Quail, but when i'm deer hunting I see a lot of birds. If you have anymore questions let me know, i'll tell you which ranches i've been seeing the birds on.

Mel

RanchRoper

Reaction score
I was wondering who belongs to wilderness unlimited or if anyone knows anything about it.  I looked at the web site but it does not tell you much.  All help and inormation would be great.  Thanks in advance.

doccherry

Reaction score
Just returned from Ashurst Ranch, a Wilderness Unlimited property 25 miles north of Coalinga.  Got a small boar after hunting for 2 hours.  Uusually it takes a couple days of hard hunting. That's my 8th pig in 4 years with the club.  I don't work for WU and don't get anything for referring people, but I can honestly say it's the best investment I've ever made.  I hunted BLM for 3 years and about gave up.  It's worth a look.  E-mail me if you have any questions about the club and I'll give you an honest answer.

doccherry

Reaction score
The first year it costs about 1700 dollars.  That's the $1200 annual dues plus an initiation fee to pay for a background check and processing fees.  After that, it's $1200 per year and that's for unlimited hunting and fishing.  They've got some really nice ranches throughout Calif, maybe 70 in all.  Deer, pig, bear, quail, and waterfowl is available.  You're limited to 2 pigs per year and everything else is per Fish and Game regulations.  I've never seen more than a total of 8 hunters on any one ranch and the ranches average between 5000 and 10,000 acres.  It's the best money I've ever spent.

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
In the future, If you want to get away from the crowds, these clubs, WU, Golden Ram and so on are going to be the only way to go.

John

Slugblaster

Reaction score
For $1700 you could go on 6 Tejon hunts in 1 year and 4 every year after that.

doccherry

Reaction score
That's true, and for a hog hunter you're absolutely right.  But I also hunt waterfowl, pheasant, quail, and deer, and do a lot of freshwater fishing.  In my case, WU is a great deal.  Most waterfowl clubs charge anywhere from 1500-2500 a year and I get all the duck hunting I want as part of my WU membership.  But again, I certainly agree with you.  If hogs are all you're after, you're much better off going to Tejon or looking for a landowner who charges a tresspass fee.  Also, I'm limited to 2 hogs per year with WU, and sometimes those two hogs come in one month so if I were only after hogs, that would be a long 11 months of waiting before the next hunt.

d trees

Reaction score
Doccherry just curious have you hunted WU properties for ducks and geese in so cal and if so how did you do.

doccherry

Reaction score
Yes, I certainly have.  I've hunted Tamarack just east of El Centro dozens of times.  Up until this year, the hunting has been great.  I usually limit out on Saturday and get 4 or 5 birds on Sunday.  This year the hunting was lousy, but it was lousy for all clubs down in the Imperial Valley, for ducks anyway.  The goose hunting at the ranches near the Salton Sea [there are 3 of them close together] is also good, but again, this year was so-so for geese, too.  We got about 1 inch of rain this year down in So Cal and the birds just didn't move down as they have in the past.

Top Bottom