Will getiing my dog spay make her fat?

HUNTSDUCKS75

Reaction score
Im going to have her spayed the week after the dove opener, she will be 1y9m old. The question is will she get fat, or lose her drive right now she has alot of drive and I dont want her to lose it. Thanks for the info.

Birddog3

Reaction score
Ducks,

I have always spayed my shorthairs. They have remained fit & trim, but I do exercise them. I would recommend this also for you. If your pup starts putting on weight, either reduce her food intake or increase her exercise. Don't worry about her losing her drive. She's a birddog, she lives to hunt! Good luck. If you not planning on having puppies, this is the best thing for her and you! lol

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
I've never spayed/neutered any of my dogs, I'd surely hate it to happen to me!

However, I've known multiple owner's that have done both, and, I concur, that, as long as your dog is "active" it will not put on any more weight than an intact dog as it ages!

Drive wise, you can't use me as an expert, but, from the many dogs I've hunted with that have been "fixed", while in the field, you'd never know it!

Only one reason I have yet to fix my dogs, solely because, if they may happen to become a "wonder dog" in my definition, I hope for an offspring?

What better way to keep things going "as you know it", than to have a potential "clone?"

HUNTSDUCKS75

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guy's, I want to get her fixed cause the last time she was in heat I had like three dogs hanging around my house and was affraid that one of them will jump the fence and nail her.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom