Will SA be turned back on?

photoj

Reaction score
When the govt turned SA off we got greater accuracy on our GPS units but now that we may going to war does that mean SA will be re-implemented? Was SA turned-on and WAAS/DGPS turned-off on the terrorist attack day?

What are the conditions for providing SA?

gizz

Reaction score
Thats a very good question photoj.
Now that we get very good accuracy we could all be a bit surprised if they decide to scramble things a bit.
Of course, the military and it's safety/secrecy are far more important than us finding our treestands - without a doubt.
I would bet that they're using something better now and that is why they turned SA off. Anyone have any details?

photoj

Reaction score
Tuesday and Wednesday earth is supposed to get hit with some major geomagnetic storm http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=3689

It's also supposed to disrupte navigational things like satellites and such so GPS may be affected by this.

On a related note. It's my guess that bin Laden will try to make some kind of move during this period since U.S. spy satellites will be getting hosed by this solar storm. It's also my guess that we are anticipating this and will be putting the hammer down on him during this time, who knows, mabye the solar storm is a smokescreen by the govt to flush him out, or as Dubya says "smoke 'em out."

(Edited by photoj at 5:32 pm on Sep. 24, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
You and I are thinking along the same lines. Odd that news about a major solar flair comes out now. Time will tell.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
photoj,

THis is from the other article I posted on this forum about GPS after the 9/11 attack.

Immediately after the attacks, the industry buzzed over the possibility of a
return to SA. That ended on Sept. 17, 2001, when the Interagency GPS Executive Board, which governs the system, posted a statement on its Web site. SA, the
agency said, will never be turned back on.

Link to Interagency GPS Executive Board

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom