Will this relay work?

chadwright

Reaction score
It is a 12 volt relay from all electronics.  I am trying to find a cheaper relay than the 12v. reed at RS

E.-T. # R7218-3. S.P.S.T. normally-open reed relay. 4650 ohm coil. 1.14" long x 0.34" diameter. In-line pc pins. UL, CSA.

dharter

Reaction score
If the coil had too low of a resistance, then it might not work.  The ms20 has a limited sink current for a relay.  I don't know about any other sensors specifications.  Compare the resistance of yours to the RS one.  Offhand the resistance seems high which is good.  It is also rated for 12V.  Those PC contacts will not take much stress.  It is a reed realy so it is supposed to be quieter than other relays. Let us know if it works.

ONESHOT

Reaction score
I agree with dharter, the coil resistance seems about 10 times too high.  Verify the relay coil is actually a 12 VDC coil.

dharter

Reaction score
If it has more resistance and works at 12V then that is better.  If it has more resistance, it will draw less current.  If the resistance is too low then the MS20 will be able to sink enough current to turn on the relay.  You could still use the relay if you added an external transistor to amplify the MS20s sink current.  I made a previous post on how to do that.  You can find it with the search engine on this site.

Top Bottom