Winchester 94 project help. Advice wanted

go4thegusto

Reaction score
Hi lever crowd. I could use some help. Just picked up a 94 in 44 mag Black Shadow. I intend to cut it to 16 inches in Trapper style, hard chrome entirely, and install XS peep system for a packing rifle.

This gun has the hokey crossbolt syle safety in the reciever. How should I disable this? I thought about ordering a 2nd part and milling off the portion that blocks the hammer so it can stay centered in the reciever.

What about the lever safety? Does the squeeze safety ever present an issue? I thought about tapping the underside of the lever where it contacts the safety to tighten up the tolerance. Would hate to not have it go bang when I need a fast bang.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting project. I'm no gunsmith, but I did want to welcome you to JHO!

As far as the squeeze safety, I've never had a failure in my M94 Trapper, and I've done some quick shooting.

As to the rest, if you can't find the help you need here (you should, but folks get busy sometimes), there's another forum called leverguns.com.

Good luck, and post up some pix and targets when you get it all done.

Ferd Berfull

Reaction score
There is an item for sale on the internet that replaces the cross bolt safety with a replacement part that looks just like a screw head. Makes it look like it came from the factory and belongs there. Nice thing is is that it is easy to put it back together like the original if you ever want to sell it. I have a link to it on my home computer, I'll try to remember to put the link here for you. I found it by googling 'crossbolt safety replacement' of something like that.

Just think, a safety on a lever action, something only a lawyer could love.

go4thegusto

Reaction score
I thought I would update how this turned out. Here is the completed 94-44mag. Hard chrome thru and thru by APW. XS ghost ring sights. Cut barrel to 16 inches in Trapper style. Machined and disabled crossbolt safety.

Handy, light 6 lbs. Now it is off to gather phone books for penetration testing of Garrett, Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Punch loads.

It ain't a 45/70 but it won't get left in camp!

Attachments

Advertisement

Top Bottom