Winchester 94

theboman

Reaction score
I have a newer (5-6 years old) Winchester Model 94 (I think it's a Ranger) 30-30. I can't hit the broad side of the barn with the iron sights.

At 25 yards I shoot 4 inches low to the left... Consistent groups too. I can't figure out how to move the groups left/right. If I remember slide the dove to higher to shoot higher...

The trigger.... AWFUL. It's sloppy, you can pull it a long way 1/2" I'm guessing before anything happens....just space.

I'd like to hang onto the gun for the heck of it but I gotta get it shooting good or it's outta here... I'm not interested in adding a scope either at this time.

Any suggestions?

swampy tim

Reaction score
Trade that thing in on a nice new (or good used) Marlin 336. You will not regret it. If you want a winchester for nostalgia's sake save up and by a nice pre-64 mod. 70. Marlin is to lever guns what the mod. 70 is to bolt actions. S/T

theboman

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a 94... Love to have an old one. I hunt with a new fangled Model 70 with the synthetic (black) stock... It ain't pretty but it shoots great even with me behind the trigger!

Years ago I had 336 but swapped it out for something... I'm thinking my 16 guage 870 Slugster.

Sorry to the moderator... I hit the wrong button.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Boman,

Get rid of that danged ramp sight and pick up some ghost rings. I have a fairly old 94 Trapper Carbine, and love the rifle. But after enough years beating around behind the seat of the truck and other various abuse, the ramp sight won't stay lined up. Impossible to manage the windage now. Every time I case it, I have to re-zero.

Still love the 94, although I don't much care for the newer, lawyer-friendly models.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Ya - get some XS ghost ring sights...Makes it a ton of fun to shoot.

As for the 1/2" take up - that's the design of a hammer block safety...

A gunsmith can clean up that trigger and lighten the pull for a reasonable fee. Made a big difference in my Timber Carbine.

satchmo

Reaction score
Hi Theboman!
Rule of thumb on your sight is to move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go!!!
Higher? Move the sight up the ramp. Right, tap the base to the right. Once you have it "SET" for a particular load you can mark the edge of the base and barrel so you can make a quick check to see that "ZERO" has not changed!!!
Or you can change to the ghost ring set-up some have suggested here!!
TTFN, Cathy

larrysogla

Reaction score
Satchmo,
Right on........are you a gun enthusiast too????
So appropo. larrysogla.

satchmo

Reaction score
Hi Larry!!!
You bet I am!!!
Now that we are living on the farm full time, we do not have to drive for two hrs. for a good place to shoot!!!
My husband is the real "expert" on the subject or so he thinks,
but he is the reason I have started shooting and hunting and why I enjoy it so much!!!
Lever actions are my favorite "FUN GUN" and we now own four,
I just acquired a winchester 9422 and I think, besides revolvers, it is the most fun to shoot!!!
TTFN, Cathy

theboman

Reaction score
Originally posted by satchmo@Mar 27 2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Theboman!
Rule of thumb on your sight is to move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go!!!
Higher? Move the sight up the ramp. Right, tap the base to the right. Once you have it "SET" for a particular load you can mark the edge of the base and barrel so you can make a quick check to see that "ZERO" has not changed!!!
Or you can change to the ghost ring set-up some have suggested here!!
TTFN, Cathy
I tried that once but couldn't tell it moved at all. What part exaclty am I supposed to tap?

swampy tim

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
What part exactly am I supposed to tap.[/b]
Your wallet so you can replace that winchester with a quality firearm, such as... um.. i don't know, maybe a MARLIN or a nice SAVAGE mod. 99....
S/T

satchmo

Reaction score
Hey Theboman!!!
We have the Win. 94 ranger and it has proven to be a very accurate and reliable gun!!!
My husband prefers the Marlin like alot of others here it appears,
not because it is more accurate ,"IT'S NOT", but because he has big hands and the Marlins forend is "BEEFIER", his words!
The part of the sight you tap is the rear sight base where it attaches to the barrel. In effect, as you tap the base ( with something that won't scratch the barrel such as an unsharpened pencil and hammer) you will be moving the entire rear sight!
Mark the sights' location before you begin, by scribing the barrel with a pencil.
This way you can tell when the base moves and how much!!!
If your sight was anything like ours it may take some "TAPPING"
and WD-40, but in the end I bet it will "BUDGE"!!!!
We have added a XS scout base set-up, a Leupold scout scope, and the XS ghost ring set!
I personally do not like the ghost ring sights, easier to use but not as precise in our opinion!!!
Good luck with it, hope this helps!!! TTFN, Cathy

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Dang, Satchmo...Where were you when I was young, wild, and single?

My 94, when it was still in good shape, was about as accurate as you'd ever want a short-barrel, open sight rifle to be. If there was something within 100 yards, I could put a 30 caliber hole in it. Until last fall at BirdDawg's place, that rifle never missed an animal... including one double on deer and plenty of singles.

The Marlin is a fine rifle too, but let's not get carried away, here.

satchmo

Reaction score
Hello Speckmisser!!!
I was beginning to wonder if we were still friends after our "DRINK" with BIGDOG the other day!?!
"SSHHHH!"You never know how some people feel about some "ISSUES". My husband was a hunter and "gun enthusiast" long before we met!!
I on the other hand had only shot my brothers BB gun once or twice before meeting him!
As far as hunting goes, I came from a family of "non-hunters" and never gave it any thought!!! Not anti-hunters, mind you, just non-hunters.
My first real introduction to guns was his 12 ga. shotgun,
after which I did not care to ever shoot a gun again!!
Looking back now I think he was being " mean " and wanted to maybe scare me a little with it!!!
It worked!!! :wow-eyes:As I started actually showing interest in hunting, ( which in the beginning was a way to spend more time together) his hobby has turned into our hobby and with the purchase of this farm,
one in which we can devote more time to!!!
I have learned to shoot a handgun right along with him and I will say, (he will not),
that with a revolver I may be the better shot!!!
We plan to take the "CCW" course this wknd!
Hopefully all goes well and sis and I will not feel so vulnerable on those long rides home from work!
Truth be known we are not completely unarmed in our travels anytime it is" just us girls"!!!
Oh, and the Winchester is my favorite too!!!
Smoother and more accurate!!!
TTFN, Cathy

theboman

Reaction score
Thanks satchmo, I'lll get out the 94 and experiement.

I'd priced the ghost ring and that's a bit pricey at $70+ and not including installation.

I hunt with a Model 70 (synthetic), and the 94 is just a newer 94 to shoot stumps.
Maybe, I'll let a hunting friend borrow it if needed, but I have no reason to get rid of the 30-30.

To consider trading a 94 off to a dealer for something else, is well plum stupid. They won't give you more for the gun than they can get a new one (or used one) for. So, a $200 gun you'd be lucky to get $125 trade in, unless they have a big margin to work with on what you're trading for.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Satch...

BigDog is a good guy, and I sure wouldn't bemoan his good fortune in meeting up and having "drinks" with ya'll.

Of course, I'll be hurt if I make it down to your neck of the woods and you're too busy to have drinks with me.

Anyway... not to get too far off topic...

Boman, the price on those ghost rings is what has kept me from making that move too. It's on my "list", but haven't sprung for it. Hunting in CA, I don't get a lot of opportunities to use the 30-30 anyway, but I do love to shoot it now and again.

I do love the quick target acquisition that the Ghost Rings provide, though. It may not be high-precision, but the 30-30 isn't generally a precision gun, especially not when you're brush busting.

All this talk... I'll have to dig the 30-30 out this weekend, and go shoot at something.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
theboman-

Since it shoots consistant groups, why ditch the gun? When you have a gunsmith fix the trigger, put a fully adjustable rear sight on it. My 94 has a rear sight that went right in place of the factory one with windage adjustments.

theboman

Reaction score
Oppise to the moderator.... I hit report instead of reply.... This darn kind of message board is setup a little wacky than I am...

I never thought of having an adustable site put on... Didn't want a scope and I do want to keep the gun.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Speckmisser@Mar 29 2005, 08:14 AM
... I'll have to dig the 30-30 out this weekend, and go MISS something.

Get the Ghost Ring Sights...hint...hint...

satchmo

Reaction score
Speckmisser!!!
We are never to busy to have drinks with anybody!!!
:banana man:Actually, we go in search of reasons to have a couple!!!
Bigdog is a great guy and we really enjoyed meeting our first JHO member!!!
TTFN, Cathy

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Satch,

You and your sisters (and hubbies) ought to bring your lever actions out to CA in June, and join us for the 2nd Annual JHO Ham Slam at the Tejon ranch. We can share many beverages, shoot a hog or two, and you'll get to meet a bunch of the JHOers in the process.

No knives and no dogs, but the lever guns ought to work just fine there.

Top Bottom