Wind setting off cam???

Wooly

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been having trouble with the wind setting off my trail cam.  I am using the regent sensor and have part of the lense taped off.  My question is how much of the lense do you guys tape off and it still work well?  

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
wooly, make sure you have no openings anywhere in your box.  I dont think it is a lens problem.  I had a MS do the same thing last year.  I checked the box and found that I had a small opening between where I epoxied the lens and the inside of the case.  The slighest movment of air on across the sensor element will set it off.  Your box must be airtight.  

Last year when I first started building cams, I had a sensor that was driving me nuts with false alarms on my work bench.  I then realized that the ceiling fan was causing it to misfire.  DOH!!!

Wooly

Reaction score
The way I have mine mounted is in its original sensor case.  I then have it glued to the  front of my camera housing.  Do you think that this is still my problem?  It doesn't seem to have any openings.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Even though the PIR housing is waterproof, it is not watertight or air tight.  I think if the wind blew hard enough, it could make it's way into the housing through the top or the sides around the lens.  However, I really only use the Mainstay, so I am not real familiar with the Regent.  

thehairlessone

Reaction score
I had a small branch in front of mine that i didnt really notice but it used a roll up. On the next roll I had 4 pics of a tumbleweed.

Might try moving it first. Plus if you dont have it facing to the north as much as you can I think the rising and setting of the sun is supposed to set it off. I have mine mounted like yours and havent had any trouble.

rick

Wooly

Reaction score
Well the sensor is actually the mainstay.  It is exactly like the regent since regent was bought by mainstay.  Well I may just need to seal it tighter or tape a little more off on the lense.  BTW when you guys mount the sensor inside the case and just cut the hole in the case, how big is the hole and it is right above the sensor eye, right???  Thanks for all the info. and your time.  
Thanks

davered1

Reaction score
wooly,

MY "built in 45 minutes" camera is the regent and it is mounted outside with just 2 pieces of camo tape covering part of lanse, no other sealant at all.It has been really windy here lately, No misfires.

Try pointing your camera in another direction,It might be the moving branches and the sun setting it off.

davered1

Reaction score
wooly,

Here is a pick of my "45 minute cam". I have only about 1/4" of lense showing. I use a Snappy LX in this and it stays recharged (flash ) well,so it doesn't need much lens open. I have had this cam out all winter in all kinds of weather and it doesn't seem to take false pictures.

Are you sure you don't have a bad connection inside or something?

Wooly

Reaction score
I will put more tape over the lense.  It has about a inch wide gap between 2 two pieces of  tape.  That should fix the problem.  Thanks for all the help.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom