Windy day and no crows

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Tried a crow hunt this morning and man the wind was howling. Just about got set up and here comes a Riverside sheriff. He starts checking out my truck so I walk all the way over to let him know what I'm doing. He starts off by saying I can't hunt the area. I let him know it's BLM land and legal to hunt. Then he says how can I hunt so close to the freeway? We're 3/4 of a mile from the freeway I point out. By now I'm wondering where this is all gonna lead. Then he asks incrediously what was I hunting for? How can a cop in rural Riverside not know anything about hunting/shooting at all?

I let him know that crows, coyotes, jacks are all open and that the local DFG wardens had checked me there before with no problem. He checks my DL and HL and then says he likes to eat his lunch in the area. I say no problem, he can tuck in where my truck is so as not to spook the crows.

So I walk back out to my hide and the SO drives over not to where I'm parked to stay out of sight, he drives out into my line of fire where every crow coming in could see the nice, bright shiny patrol car. Maybe he wanted me to leave, I don't know. I called 15 mins and left, no takers, the wind was just too much and the obvious cop car wasn't helping any.

I can remember a time when most cops hunted and would spend some time yacking about how you were doing. This guy left a bad impression. If you don't know the law how can you make statements telling people what they can and can't do? He looked young, maybe mid 20s, but I really had to wonder.

Went over to 2 other spots but the wind was bad everywhere it seemed, even the canyons. Called it a day early.

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
Isn't it against the law to interfere with a legal hunt? Sounds like the guy was dead wrong.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Spector,

Maybe you can complain to the Riverside SD and your County Supervisor it might help. My son and I hunted this weekend in Kern County and only had 7 decent shot opportunities which we missed. Not a whole lot of crows out and about. I will try to post pictures about last weeks hunt where we bagged 6 crows which is a family record. We did give some pigeon's a dirt nap and a local dairyman signed a depredation permit good all year for our feathered friends. The almonds are just coming out in a few month Heckel and jeckel should be back when they ripen. has you know next week end is the last for this crow hunting season let me know if you want to do a last hurrah. We have some new blinds.

Leftyhunter

shoot-it

Reaction score
I think that cop was being a jerk he probably was trying to ruin your hunt.There is still some hunting type around I had a good talk with a older chp on duty about varmint hunting and stuff.

Hey spectra you need a cripple crow decoy to bring them in.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom