Wing Bones

spotty

Reaction score
I killed a Jake this evening. He weighed 14 1/2 lbs, 5" beard and 3/8" knots for spurs.

Are the wing bones from this bird too big for a wing bone yelper?

tomturkey

Reaction score
Not at all Spotty! They're just about as good as you can get outside of a hen's bones. I've been able to get some pretty good calls from 2 year olds. Just takes a little more tuning. Thse jake bones will  make a fine souvenier of your hunt and a pretty darn good call as well. Good luck with it and congratulations on your turkey too!

tomturkey ;)

spotty

Reaction score
Tomturkey,

Thanks for the info! I'll probably only get one call from this bird. One of bones took a pellet and is shattered. I dug out the bones and stuck them in the freezer. I guess that will be a rainy day project.  

Thanks....

Tominator

Reaction score
Spotty, go buy you some borax at the grocery store and dig the bones out of the freezer and cover them in the borax.
Tominator

PowDuck

Reaction score
Hey, Tominator. Why should he Borax them? I froze mine, too. When I get ready to make them I'll take them out, cut off the knuckles, and boil them down. What good does the Borax do in this situation?

spotty

Reaction score
PowDuck,

I've used borax on different stuff over the years.  The borax will help dry the muscle and tissue on the bones. It also acts as a preservative.  I've never made a wing bone yelper. My only concern is cleaning the marrow and tissue from the center of the bones.  My thinking is like yours on boiling. Looks like the center will be easier to clean out after boiling.

I've looked at the info on how to make a wing bone yelper. Does anyone have any more sugestions?

Top Bottom