Wing Calling

Rattler

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Any tips on calling birds in with a wing?  I have read alot of I-net stuff (some of it is kinda vague).  Any pointers?  With a guy behind every tree on Saturday, I guy could get shot with regular calls.  Also, which part of the wing bone is the yelp call stock bone?Thanks in advance.

MBullism

Reaction score
I'm guessing you mean flapping a wing, not using a wingbone yelper...  I carry a wing section with me but use it only just before and at flydown time.  I'll get in early and make a few soft (tree?) yelps.  I only want to make sure tom hears me, and hears me first.  Sometimes I'll add some GENTLE wing beats in this sequence, like I'm a hen adjusting my feathers or shaking of the morning dew.  Then I'll wait. If I feel as if he needs a little persuading  to hit the ground I'll hit him with an excited flydown cackle accompanied with loud wing beats.  If I use this sequence I put the wing away.  After all, "I'm" on the ground now...  I don't know anyone who replaces standard hen calls with the wing alone.  You want to create the entire illusion, then sell it to him.

If you get shot making hen calls, you would have gotten shot making turtle noises...  gobbles over jake dekes is a different story.

As for the wingbone question, Spectre17 posted some excellent info on making a wingbone call...  If your asking about calling with a wingbone yelper, please disregard everything I just said, LOL

M

Rattler

Reaction score
MB,
     Thanks. Yes. I was asking about the flapping wing method.  I'll check out S17's post.

Welby

Reaction score
The "flapper wing", as I call it, does wonders to add realism to your early morning setup, but is not useful for much else afterwards.  (Unless you are trying to convince a gobbler to come across a creek, but that is a different story.)

Nearly everytime I have used it, it has produced explosive gobbles from toms on the roost.  That doesn't guarantee they'll come on in, but it does get their attention.  The biggest surprise I have seen from using the wing is the way it sometimes gets turkeys that wouldn't otherwise gobble from the roost to answer.  For example, a few years back I set up on a gobbler that answered my owl hoots repetitively.  When I felt the time was right, I flapped my hen wing and cackled on a tube call to simulate a fly down.  To my surprise, the most resounding gobble I heard in response came from a gobbler behind me....one that had not been gobbling that morning and apparently one I had walked under in the dark.

They work good for what they do, but they are not good for much else in my opinion.

Rattler

Reaction score
Thanks.  The reason I asked is because I was thinking of staking out an afternoon dusting spot and giving it a quick couple of shakes in crunched leaves and sand to simulate a hen dusting. Maybe not. Thanks again.

MBullism

Reaction score
whoa!  You may be passing up a chance to be creative, here.  I'm not telling you not to try anything new... you never know...  Somebody has to try it first.  I'm only telling you what I do, and what has worked for me.  It's the way I was taught to use it.  I've tried different things at different times just to see what happens.  As with any type of calling, as long as you don't overdo it, or really screw up, you'll usually get a positive response, or no response at all...  So what's it gonna hurt to try?  For all you know, tom is hung up out of sight and that little dusting noise is just what it takes to push him over the edge.

my .02

M

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Another time you can flop your hat against your leg to make it sound like a wing is when doing a fight call sequence. If you've ever heard turkeys fight, they get at it pretty good and beat each other with their wings like geese do. When I can't get any reaction from a henned up tom, sometimes I'll do a fight sequence to try and pique the hen's curiosity to who's getting stomped this week. A fighting purr pushbox and a mouth call purring mixed in with some sapling kickign and leave crunching and hat flopping will do the trick sometimes.

One time I had these two toms that wouldn't leave this little clearing above me. There was an old barbed wire fence they would walk over to where I was laying in a creekbed trying to call them and they would peek over the lip, just out of range. After 2 hours and about 10 peeks from each tom I was ready for the fight trick. I raised a ruckus and sure enough one of the 2 toms couldn't help himself. He stepped through the fence and was craning his big nosy head when I finally shot his busybody butt. In the background when I fired off to the right I could see the other tom looky looing too. I'm sure he was thinking "I wouldn't go down there if I was you."

Rattler

Reaction score
MB,
    Okay, I'll keep that idea in my back pocket next time ALL else fails (Like last Saturday-tom hung up 90 yards out...then split). His strut zone was in the immediate vicinity of a hen dusting area.  Watched them there on 3 occasions dusting and eating nearby grass and 'corns.  He sure got pissed when a REAL hen and I answered him from up hill a ways but would not join him.  I was under the trees with lots of dried leaves and I would have been busted right quick if I moved.  Turkey hunting sure is fun.  I always have trouble shifting down gears after season to fishing...which I love, but it ain't chasing Ol' Tom.
  I guess no one on here hunts in Northern Nevada...?  

Possum

Reaction score
I use a wing just about all day if I have to.  The illusion is what sells, not the calling.  I can fly down in the morning (after I have rubbed through the tree limbs with my wing feathers).  I can beat the air in the field while I am bugging (anyone ever seen a turkey, male and female flap their wings on the ground three quick times in succession?).  I can have a tussle with my girlfriend over where I am bugging (throw in a FEW aggressive purrs).  I can cackle as I cross the creek flying.  I can scratch in the dry leaves (easier than with the hand).  I can wiggle through the briars with my wing feathers catching the thorns (heard it one time with an old gobbler-thought a python was coming up behind me).  Get the picture?  I thought Primos' wing thing was a joke until I really learned how to use it.  I use it now all the time and like it because you can replace the feathers in it.  When you add the calling, location, and nonverbal sounds into the picture- get the grease hot...he's coming in.  

Rattler

Reaction score
Thanks Possum.  I'll try it.  I am shut out this year hunting public land (all but one trip-1 was private).  Down but not out.  Thanks again.

Welby

Reaction score
I have never seen much use for one aside from the morning flydown skit and even then I haven't like to carry them because they take so much room and are so noisy.  But, I really like what I have learned from this post and I think I will use mine more next year.

Rattler, your idea about using it to simulate the dusting and Possum's many creative ideas have changed my mind about the wing.  I realized I have missed many possibilities because I haven't used my wing more.

The extra realism gained from turkeys' other sounds adds to the overall effect of calling one in.  A wing can add all sorts of realism to different calling techniques.  

Thanks for the tips guys!

flahunter

Reaction score
It works fellas, here in Florida when the birds get real tough I use my hat along with some real aggresive hen calling and i will usually get him to come in. I don't use a Wing I just use my hat and it works! :flame-2:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom