Wing Preservation

Marty

Reaction score
Hey gang.
Anyone have tips on preserving pheasant wings?  I wanted to keep the feathers on bone for display, but have no experience in taxidermy.  The wings are frozen now.
From my limited search, I was looking at using a scalpel to open the under wing and pick out the meated areas.  Then treat with (borax?) and glue closed.

foulshot

Reaction score
I've always been curious about preserving the birds also.  What does everybody do for a whole bird that you want to have mounted?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I've found that a wing will pretty much dry out by itself...maybe a little salt to speed the process.  Clip it off, rub salt on the cut end, and stow it in the garage or attic for a couple of weeks.  I have a couple of duck wings I've "treated" that way.  A meatier wing might require more work, though.  

Your taxidermist will recommend the proper way to save a bird 'til you can have it mounted.  It's been a very long time since I did one, but it seems like you want to fold the head down against the breast, and wrap the bird in plastic wrap fairly tightly.  Then wrap in tin foil.  The bird should keep like this until you're ready to take it to be mounted.  

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
My taxidermist (Living Desings, Costa Mesa) likes me to remove all the blood and dirt possible.  Make sure what you're mounting isn't too hammered.  If you'll have it mounted flying, you'd like it to have all of the flight feathers.  If standing, not having the feet or legs shot up too bad.  Carefully roll in papertowels (keeps blood and fluids in check).  Tuck in what you can and protect the tail feathers if necessary.  Bag and freeze.  If it'll be awhile before mounting, a vacuum seal system like Food Saver is the way to go.

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
your Idea will work. If it is greasy bird duck goose wash in a little Dawn soap and water, rinse, then set in A solvent such as laquer thinner to speed drying. then if you would like it to stay open pin it open to a peice of foam or place some cardboard strips with clothes pins of clips to hold open. two weeks they should dry and stay in the open position.           Best: Bryan

Top Bottom