Winnie the Pooh

Lonedrake

Finally shot my first bear. I've turned down alot over the years, just not quite what I was willing to shoot. I figure if I was going to spend that much to get one done, it either had to be a book size bear or a really cool color. Well, one of the two presented itself to me while I was sheep hunting in Alberta, so I cashed in on the oppurtunity. 265 yards, through the neck. He folded up instantly but rolled down the mountain to the bottom of the gorge. Finally got him out right at dark. Gonna have enough trouble convincing the wife to let me put him in the house, let alone another one so I don't think I'll be shooting any more for a long while.

Attachments

NatureDriven

Beautiful Bear! Looks like your waiting paid off in a big way. Have you eaten bear before? What do you plan on making out of him? How did the sheep hunt turn out?

Lonedrake

I haven't eaten it before but know alot of people who have. I was looking forward to trying it but we were so far down the ravine and it was getting dark that I wasn't able to go back and get any. I'd love a full mount but I think I'll have to settle for a rug. Six years sheep hunting and still no ram. I've turned a few down but nothing to brag to about. Just didn't have much time off this year for it. There's always next year though.

Lonedrake

The laws are different here....you don't have to take the meat for bear, cougar, wolf, etc. I wanted to bring out the meat but it got dark by the time I got back with just the hide. It was at the bottom of the gorge on a very steep and rocky mountain, too dangerous at night. You know what, I don't have to justify myself to anyone here. Rules are different here, I didn't break any, if you don't like it, too bad!

kingwouldbe

Lonedrake You can do whatever YOU want with YOUR bear.

However you made it sound like you could not get any meat out because it got dark and was to steep, that's a little different than, I don't have to take it, if I don't want to. [ Sir, your own words reveal the truth ]

If you did want some meat you could of boned out 30 - 50lbs and took it with you on your 1st and only trip out, It sounds like there may have been more than just your self and if so you could take more if you chose to.

There is a big difference between cant & don't wont to, it sounds like you chose the later, because your excuse [ It was steep and getting dark ] don't hold water.

As hunters we face some extreme challenges, some are up for the challenge and others fold and make excuses.

I hope you choose to challenge your self the next time you have an opportunity to do so, you will be amazed at how you feel about your self as you exceed what you thought you could not do.

Beautiful bear, he deserved to be used with respect, in steed of being left for the maggots.

muskeg

Great Bear !!!!!

By the way I'll say most Bears that are taken in Alaska are not meat salvaged. Many consider them not edible. Rarely is the meat of a Brown Bear taken. The Brown Bear is a trophy hunt.

And since we have now a meat salvage law for Black Bear in Spring only we are required to take some. But I would say that over 50% ends up in the nearest dipsty dumpster as many hunters still don't consider it edible and the law don't say you can't throw it away.

Our big coastal Blacks are mainly a Trophy hunt also. All those non-Alaska hunters don't come all the way up here to hunt for Bear meat.

No carcass is wasted in the north land. Eagles; ravens; mink; marten; Wolves and more all will feed well on a carcass. In fact when the Wolfs find it a fill up it's just one more animal that they don't have to kill ..... if you get my meaning !!!!!!!

RIFLEMAN

Let's make sure we keep our comments respectful of our fellow members, guys.

Taking issue with the actions or opinions of a JHO member is one thing, but making statements that are personally derogatory is neither tolerated here nor conducive to the discussion of a very important topic.

Offering your objections to Lonedrake's actions in a manner similiar to kingwouldbe is far more constructive and is in keeping with the spirit of the JHO Community.

Lonedrake

Thanks Rifleman and Muskeg, also thank you to kingwouldbe. I respect the fact that you may disagree with what I did, but you said it in such a way that I actually read your comments a couple times and thought about the points you made. To the others, it's unfortunate you feel the way you do, but I'm quite sure I'm not the first person on this site to leave behind the meat of a bear, cougar, wolf, etc.... and I'm sure I won't be the last. Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new topic regarding this and have a full out discussion on such ethical decisions, and while we're at it, let's talk about baiting bears or using dogs to tree a bear and shooting it out of a tree (which, by the way is illegal here in Alberta). I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either, but I'm sure it would make a good discussion. Just food for thought.

Lonedrake

Good hunting everyone.

Jagermeister

Glad this thread took a decent turn. I agree that we should not attack other hunters that follow the law, no matter if we agree with their hunting / harvesting choices or not.

Cheers, George

Rick

My initial reaction was the same as many - "You left the carcass?"

But then I looked at myself and said - "I don't eat ground squirrel, jack rabbit, crow, coyote and I'm not sure how I'd like badger or bear." As others have said, to each his own, as long as it's legal.

Bwana Turtle

After reading that some samples of bear meat have as many as 340 Trichinella cysts per gram
(That's gram not ounce !) I started to have second thoughts about eating bear meat.
I know a guy who shot a bear in Saskatchewan on the first day of the hunt and didn't take the meat. He started to feel bad about it until he saw another hunters bear meat. You could actually see the worms in the tissue. The hunter chucked the meat and my friend no longer felt bad. Makes bear meat sound like worm pate'.

Minnesota bear

Nice bear lone drake. I hunted Manitoba once and the guides don't allow you to track a bear at night and by the time it was my turn the next day to haul mine out it didn't smell like I would want to save the meat,70 degrees by then.they said hardly anyone save the meat there. I save it in Minnesota but have freezer facilities for the whole bear and we get them at night not the next day. I eat some and donate the rest. If there is no law andyou dont like it it will get used up by other creatures. again nice bear I like the color

Top Bottom