Wireless PIR Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Reaction score
Can someone suggest how I might rig up a PIR (radio shack) to a remote unit that would alert with an audio response (some 200 feet away) when the PIR sensor has been tripped? Currently, I watch for the flash to go off on my homebrew camera to tell me when vermin are trespassing. I would like to rig up a "door-bell" of sorts. No flash.

Also, what product(s) would offer this funtionality.

Thank you much

Shane

Reaction score
Can someone suggest how I might rig up a PIR (radio shack) to a remote unit that would alert with an audio response (some 200 feet away) when the PIR sensor has been tripped? Currently, I watch for the flash to go off on my homebrew camera to tell me when vermin are trespassing. I would like to rig up a "door-bell" of sorts. No flash.

Also, what product(s) would offer this funtionality.

Thank you much

gizz

Reaction score
Ummm...a wireless doorbell?
Not sure how you'd rig it up but it would be a start since i have one that is battery operated at the door and the unit that rings inside the house is plugged into an outlet....

gizz

Reaction score
Ummm...a wireless doorbell?
Not sure how you'd rig it up but it would be a start since i have one that is battery operated at the door and the unit that rings inside the house is plugged into an outlet....

bat

Reaction score
Hey Shane, you must have some of my So. Ga. Armadilloes running around your house, hehe.  Your idea sounds like something I would be interested in.  I been trying to catch them kritters for a long time now....tearing up my grass...you little *****.  Reckon we could also apply a 22 to that idea...''grin''

bat

Reaction score
Hey Shane, you must have some of my So. Ga. Armadilloes running around your house, hehe.  Your idea sounds like something I would be interested in.  I been trying to catch them kritters for a long time now....tearing up my grass...you little *****.  Reckon we could also apply a 22 to that idea...''grin''

Shane

Reaction score
Exactly! You've got the idea.

Gizz - I figure, the chime functionality is built into the PIR. It's just missing the remote side.

You see this type of functionality in the home security systems. But, instead of triggering the camera unit, it just fires off the alarm. The nice thing about it is you can go to bed and use it like an alarm. I don't know, perhaps it's not very sporting, but I watch way too much TV to watch for that damned flash to go off. I have a similar unit that runs my shop lights (remote outlet with small remote with on/off functions) but it's plugged into 110.

Shane

Reaction score
Exactly! You've got the idea.

Gizz - I figure, the chime functionality is built into the PIR. It's just missing the remote side.

You see this type of functionality in the home security systems. But, instead of triggering the camera unit, it just fires off the alarm. The nice thing about it is you can go to bed and use it like an alarm. I don't know, perhaps it's not very sporting, but I watch way too much TV to watch for that damned flash to go off. I have a similar unit that runs my shop lights (remote outlet with small remote with on/off functions) but it's plugged into 110.

Munce27520

Reaction score
Shane, I would take my camera the way it is setup and remove the shutter wires from the camera. Unplug it if you used the dc connector plugs. Get you a wireless door bell system like gizz said. The bell button is a contact closure, run two wires out of it to your 5Vdc reed relay just where your camera would connect, or add a plug as is on your camera and plug it in. Now take the buzzer piece of the door bell set and plug it into your wall outlet next to your TV chair.     Now when the PIR detects the vermon, it will follow the same proceedure as the camera except now instead of firing the flash it will close the transmitter button on this remote door bell and the buzzer will sound inside where you are at. The range would be a consideration that you would have to test. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Munce27520

Reaction score
Shane, I would take my camera the way it is setup and remove the shutter wires from the camera. Unplug it if you used the dc connector plugs. Get you a wireless door bell system like gizz said. The bell button is a contact closure, run two wires out of it to your 5Vdc reed relay just where your camera would connect, or add a plug as is on your camera and plug it in. Now take the buzzer piece of the door bell set and plug it into your wall outlet next to your TV chair.     Now when the PIR detects the vermon, it will follow the same proceedure as the camera except now instead of firing the flash it will close the transmitter button on this remote door bell and the buzzer will sound inside where you are at. The range would be a consideration that you would have to test. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

gizz

Reaction score
This is getting to be a bit off topic so I'm gonna move it to homemade stuff.
Looks like our freinds ad dimango(lamson pir) have put together a nice wireless doorbell unit. Have a look

http://www.eztone.com/3510.htm

Should do the trick

gizz

Reaction score
This is getting to be a bit off topic so I'm gonna move it to homemade stuff.
Looks like our freinds ad dimango(lamson pir) have put together a nice wireless doorbell unit. Have a look

http://www.eztone.com/3510.htm

Should do the trick

Shane

Reaction score
Thank you for the information gentelmen.

So, if we were using this Dimango wireless door chime, it looks like all that would be needed is to wire the PIR sensor to the remote. So instead of the camera, we get the audio response. Is that about right?

Sounds fun!

Thanks again

Munce27520

Reaction score
Yes, just wire the transmitter button to your cam setup where the camera would normally connect. This way when the PIR is tripped your setup will fire off the transmitter button and thus the audio effect will be heard from the receiver where ever you are located. This is cool since the receiver is battery powered, you could use this setup on a deer trail to your feeder to notify you of an approaching target with the receiver in your deer stand. ( oops, would that be legal? )

You could add a switch to the outside of your cam housing to switch between camera or doorbell or even take a picture as well as use the doorbell at the same time. Let us know more.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I rigged up something like what ya'll are talking about for a friend of mine.  I used a LINX transmitter/receiver and used the PIR trigger output to send the signal and the receiver to receive the signal and turn on a buzzer in the house.

Line of sight was good to about 100 yards or so with good antennas and a ground plane of adequate size.

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Brian - Was the LINX receiver battery powered? And what product would I be looking for to purchase a unite like this? Obviously, small size would be nice too. That would be the ultimate setup. More portable. I could see this product, in the future, sending a wireless page to a pager or cell phone. But for now, I would settle for the wireless door bell.

Munce27520 - to your point about deer trails. I suppose you could set up multiple transmitters and PIRs in the woods (or around the property) and all tune into the same receiver frequency, huh?

I like the fact that the combination of the PIR and transmitter equal about the size of a can of soda. Pretty tight!

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Shane,

The LINX receiver and transmitter for me are battery powered.  The receiver in your case could run off your house power with a 5 volt power supply.  The receiver draws the most at 8 mA idle and I am looking into pulsing it so the average current is less.
I use this concept on my radio controlled video camera.  I use a nine volt battery to power the PIR and the transmitter doesn't draw but a 1uA while idle until it transmits the code for about three or four seconds and then it draws 3 or 4 mA.  I have been running it off the same 9 volt battery now for about two years.  Granted it has not been out all the time so this is not an accurate time.
The reciever sits in my video camera box and draws the 8 mA. It is the power hog of the two.  I use D cells for it.
I make these units out of surface mount chips from Linx.  I etch the boards and then design them into my PIR circuit.

tony r

Reaction score
i went hunting one day & the land owner had 3 2x4s like a tipi in the front yard & i asked him what was up.  he had a moition sensor flood light that had a wireless alarm built in it. he had it hanging from the top of the 2x4s pointing down  with an ext. cord ran to it & had the light bulbs took out of it . the alarm would wake him & he would turn the porch light on & kill the armadilos.   tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom