Wisconsin Buck

hommer

Reaction score
Finally got a picture of a decent buck                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   http://www.d.umn.edu/~dhomich/himages/10%20point%20buck.jpg

StringShooter

Reaction score
Isn't that kind of small for Wisconsin standards?

Just kiddin'...nice buck!

davered1

Reaction score
nice buck,hopefully next time we see him its in a before and after thread

gizz

Reaction score
That is very nice buck and it seems he's looking for some companionship. His neck is "swelled" so he may be lookin for some trouble as well...Maybe I'd hate to be that little pine tree he's walking towards?
Anymore of this fellow?

(Edited by gizz at 9:03 pm on Nov. 7, 2001)

Possum

Reaction score
Took a while to load, but worth the wait.  That's a good one.  I'd like to be pulling the trigger on him.  Great pic.

hommer

Reaction score
Ya, thats not the biggest buck around here but its the biggest I've caught on film so far. This is the only pic I've of him, if he makes it thru rifle season I might get another.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Back in March, my wife started pestering me about turning 40 this year.  She wanted to know when I was going to have my "crisis" and get a girlfriend and buy a sports car.  About the fifth time, I said if I have a mid-lifer, I'll just go on a long hunting trip.  Damn if she didn't like the idea.  I called my cousin in Wisconsin and the deal was done.  I've taken my share of hogs, quail, dove and ducks, but I've NEVER gotten a deer.  Wisconsin was good to me.  We hunted the "Bluff Country" of Buffalo County.  We did the deer-stand thing and on the fourth day I took this 8 pointer at about 60 yards.  He came over the draw, paused twice and then stopped perfectly.  My .280 dropped him clean - he just shuddered a little.  He's smallish compared to some of the monsters out there, but he's my trophy.  Just under 13" inside spread, but a REAL nice body at 173lbs field dressed.  Over the five days, I saw 4 nice bucks and 40+ does.  In Wisconsin, you can take 2, but all of my relatives had plenty since most had taken deer in the archery season.   We had a great loin/backstrap dinner.  I'm having the rest processed into German Summer Sausage, jerkey and beer sticks.  It'll ship a lot easier that way.

The third picture is of a buck taken about 400 yards from me on the opener.  Everyone agreed it was the biggest they'd ever seen in Buffalo County.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  The bases were almost 10" around.  The brow tines were over 10" long and split.  All of the guys have huge racks on their walls, but this dude dwarfed all of them.  They green scored it at just under 180 pts.

It was a great hunt with really nice folks.  I really settled in with the slower pace.  If I didn't have two great kids, I'd be tempted to stay.  Oh well, as family I can go back every year.

Fubar

Reaction score
QALHNTR  Way to go. Thanx for the pics and the good story. Let me know how your sausage turns out.              Fubar

Brian S

Reaction score
Congratulations Qalhntr,
  I was just thinking yesterday wonder what happened to Qalhntr haven't seen a post from him in a while. It looks like you had a good reason. We were both lucky going back east this year , and both left with the same impression. Although I'm sure life in Wisconsin is way more layed back than Connecticut I'd still would love to move. My kids are 6 and 4 so I only have a couple more years til they say no way dad what about my friends. I should be getting my venison back the first of next week still frozen I hope. Are you going to get him mounted out there?
Brian

lintongb

Reaction score
QALHNTR,
Good job on the deer and good story.  It has got to be a little frustrating to see bucks in the hills behind your own home and have to go to Wisconsin to be able to hunt them.:)  It is still worth it though. Congrats.

jayber

Reaction score
Glad to hear of your hunting success.....thanks for sharing the story and the pics!  And happy 40th to ya!!!

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Thanks guys.  The bucks in the hills behind the house won't bother me for a long time.  Yes, I'm getting it mounted in WI.  The town manager is also the local's taxidermist.  All of the work I saw was top notch.
Another way that WI is different than SoCal is how you check your deer in.  The town I was staying in (pop.2,400) had it's check-in station at the town gas station.  Since I bagged my buck about 20 miles away in Nelson, we stopped at the local station - "The Whitetail Inn".  It's a twenty stool bar in the middle of nowhere.  I bought some beers for the cousins - 13 beers cost me a whopping $13.00.  Leinenkugel's never tasted so good.  The barkeep came out and validated my buck in the parking lot.  I'm still smiling!

Archer1

Reaction score
Congradulations on a fine buck.  A reall dandy to kick things off with

THBailey

Reaction score
Wisconsin is Great.  I went back this year for the fourth year in a row.  A long time hunting buddy takes me back to the old family farm in Green Lake County, all 160 acres of it.  Opening morning sounds like the opener at Grey Lodge, just like the "Saving Bucky Ryan" beach scene.  Deer running every which way.  We usually see 60 to 80 deer from the "sky blind" 20 feet up in the trees next to the corn field and riparian marsh.  The state runs a nine day rifle buck season, a blackpowder season, a bow season, and a couple of doe only seasons.  They harvest like 650,000 deer every year.  When you buy your buck tag they give you an extra doe tag, and you can buy as many extra doe tags as you want for use in the "T" zones.  And the place is an animal rights activists nightmare.  By law deer must be taken to a registration station before skinning or cutting up (its ok to gut them first), and they must be exposed until registered.  Outside of the car body, tailgate of the pickup down, etc.  Opening weekend three out of every four vehicles going down the highway have deer tied all over them. It is really something to see about half of the parking lot at the local butcher shop stacked eight or ten feet deep with frozen deer carcasses.  I got a decent 8 point this year, 18 inch outside spread.  My best for the four years is a fairly massive 9 point with a 24 inch spread.  Only fair to average for California but a big Ol' Snort for back there.  And the venison tastes fantastic.  Where we hunt its all farm land, woodlot or marsh so the critters eat corn, soy and alphalpha almost exclusively.  Much better than a sage munching muley.  Give the whitetails a try if you get a chance.  Waiting around in a tree blind is a lot different than we are used to, but its a lot of fun.  And the Wisconsin people love deerhunters,  brats and deep fried walleye taste fantastic, and a cold red "Leiny's" is as good a beer as I've ever enjoyed. But be careful-  They take the Green Bay Packers real serious back there.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Way to go QALHNTR! Great pics too. Them whitetails are sure different then muleys.

kuff

Reaction score
Great deer! I waited 4 years before shooting my first buck several years ago - Congrats!

Top Bottom