Wisconsin fisheries official charged in cat's death

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Wisconsin fisheries official charged in cat's death

Associated Press

Published Dec 28 2001

MADISON, Wis. -- The superintendent of a state fish hatchery has been charged with animal mistreatment on accusations he beat a cat to death.

John J. Komassa, 37, of Mount Horeb, was charged Thursday in Dane County Circuit Court.

According to a criminal complaint, Komassa told Dane County Humane Officer Cheri Carr that on Nov. 17 he saw a cat running loose at the Nevin Fish Hatchery in Fitchburg. The cat managed to get into one of the buildings and Komassa thought he had chased it out.

But two days later, he discovered the cat again and it bit him when he tried to remove it. He told Carr his only option was to kill it, so he grabbed an aluminum bar and beat the cat to death, the complaint says.

The state Department of Natural Resources said Komassa was only doing his job when he killed the cat. DNR spokesman Greg Matthews said state statute gives hatchery employees the authority to kill animals that present a threat of disease or are eating fish at the hatchery.

``We were pretty shocked when he got a citation for this,'' Matthews said. ``In our view, it's a wild animal.''

andrew

Reaction score
Thats a bunch of @#$%. No way should he be charged with anything. I know it was in the work place and there are certain standards they must follow, but if a wild(thats what it really is, feral)animal bites me, of course I am going beat it. As far as I am concerned, he was jsut neutralizing the threat.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom