Wister 11/24

D Sea

Reaction score
My buddy and I hunted Wister this past Saturday without a resi.  We drew #14 in the lotto so we knew we would get on, but getting our choice of spots was doubtful.  

There were a lot of no-shows from the reservation holders, and when our turn came up we picked 312b-4.  

We were too far from the goose fields to have a chance at the Snows, and the few ducks that were in teh area, flew very high, even higher after the skybusters got done educating them.  We left at noon with out firing a single shot.

I'll be giving it a try again next weekend.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
What was the weather like down at Wister on Saturday? Was it windy and raining like it was in the LA basin?

D Sea

Reaction score
There was a light breeze all morning, just strong enought to keep the mosquitos at bay.  It was pretty warm when we left at noon.  If it rained, down there, it didn't happen until later that evening.

VA Native

Reaction score
I hunted Wister the 24th and the 25th.  The 24th me and a buddy only managed 2 ducks, a shoveler and a buffel head (we hunted next the the sea).  We stayed for Sunday because of the weather, it started raining Saturday night and the wind blew all night.  A little cloudy Sunday morning but the wind died and there was not much flying.  We did manage 2 ducks and got two snows that took a look at our duck decoys.  This season has been really poor at Wister, not many birds, and many many skybusters (not just the 60 to 70 yard pass shooters, but 70 to 120 yards sky scrapers.)  I usually don't care where I go as long as I am away from other hunters, you can be in the hottest spot on the refuge and if you're surrounded by sky busters it is really not very fun.  I am thinking about heading north this weekend, maybe to Mendota, anyone shot there this past weekend?

d trees

Reaction score
hey guys what closed zone are the geese useing , going down next couple a shoot days .d

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
d's,

Me and my boys are going down tonite for weds.  We'll either be in a red crew cab f-350 4x4 Ford, grn super cab f-250 Ford or a black f-250 4x4 Ford.  One of these three trucks will have a cart sitting on the back of the truck.  Stop by and say HI!

DanD

Reaction score
Sunday the geese where all in a pond and the field next to it right below 115B.  I think that's 114 but I'm not positive.

songdog

Reaction score
The problem with seeing the geese (or ducks) in an area when there's nobody shooting or a non shoot day is that there's no way they'll be there when the shooting starts due to all the skybusting.

Forgive the sarcasm but I'm just a little burnt at the management of Wister this year combined with the type of folks I've seen shooting there lately.  

d trees

Reaction score
Dan d are you talking about the 114b clozed zone ?? or 114c hunting area ,

Kid I will be in a 2001 chev 4x4  wht w/ matcing shell two american flag stickers on the window im not leaving tell about 10:30 pm ,d

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
We're taking the red crew cab Ford 4x4 and the green Ford f-250.  We'll be there on res #14.

limit7

Reaction score
Anyone hunt Wednesday 11/28?  There are a ton of geese but they are not going to the same areas as they are on the nonshoot days.  This is the slowest it has ever been.  

d trees

Reaction score
Well guys got back this afternoon only hunted till 10: 30 and sure didnt see much to report we took two mallards and lost a spoonie for the three of us and sure wish I had seen more ducks,  but sure didnt see much , as for the Geese very high and very few up north, we hunted 413's  .

Kid I must of just missed you at the check station I was in the line at Maxs getting a cup of his famous Niland coffee , couldnt tell if that was my stomach perking or the coffee pot    :surprised-purple::wink-yellow: , hope you did better than us , d

almost  forgot highlight of the day my dog found a greenhead that my buddy shot in a very Large tule " clump "  I mean POND next to us that we gave up on but he would not , made my day . d

(Edited by d trees at 6:12 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
We did OK, 5 snow geese/ 1 adult snow and 4 ross geese and a couple of ducks, we passed on a handful of ducks when geese were working unfortunately the blinds around us didn't.  Once again, the flocks of birds I saw were mostly white and not much grey, if some grey ones don't show up or we don't get some really windy days it could be a tough season.  I did see a ton of mallards and lots of canvasbacks cruising around.

d's I saw a white chevy 4x4 right in front of the DFG office but no one was near by, we bring 12 doz shells and 4 doz super mag duck dekes so we had to get to the pond and get to work, I didn't have much time to BS in the parking lot.

limit7

Reaction score
Kid.....you did awesome for 2001 Wister standards.  Nice job on the geese.  Maybe some of the young ones are starting to arrive.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
A low res card next week would be a good thing, the birds are on the way.  Like I said, I saw too much white and not enough grey, oh well it's years like this that you learn the most from.  IMO we here in so. Calif are some of the best waterfowlers around, we hunt in mild weather most of the time, we hunt birds who have been shot at for months from Canada to southern Calif and we drive a long way to do it.

D Sea

Reaction score
Kid,

Good job on the geese.  Was is primarily a morning shoot for you guys or did you get the geese later in the day?  I'll be heading down again this weekend, (again without a ressi), and if there is a better chance at the geese in the afternoon, I might need to consider re-filling at the checkstation to get closer to the goose fields after some of the morning shooters give up the ghost.

d trees

Reaction score
amen to that kid , im guessing you were down where though C-backs like to be boy did those spots go fast , did you guys hunt all day ?? if so did they fly late, d  

(Edited by d trees at 9:51 am on Nov. 29, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom