Wister Report/Observations

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Well, boys, I wish I had some good hunting to report (like D Trees) but it was slow for us at Wister.  I brought visiting father-in-law from the state of Washington along for the uneventful adventure.

Saturday (Dec 29) saw us arriving at the refuge about an hour prior to shoot time.  We chose a blind in the W area.  Unfortunately, the ducks didn't fly in our direction so we moved to a blind a little to the south, where we managed a nice strap of delicious Hollywoods.  We didn't shoot at a goose or even see one flipping around in the afternoon.  We did see the big group fly into the closed zone (Y-14), both from the Sea and from the south, but they never came out.

On Wednesday (Jan 2), father-in-law had pulled a ressi (now you know why we went back -- and why I hunt with him) and we were joined by KID CREOLE and Wingsetter.  We chose a blind in the Y area and quickly filled out our bull sprig limit.  Could have shot a full strap of those beautiful birds had there been no restriction.  Moved south for the hollywood shoot in the afternoon and that never materialized; however, we were greeted with some very "ready, willing and able" cinnamon teal.  Again, the sprig swarmed us and we tried to get them to land in the decoys, but to no avail.  A couple came pretty close, but I think they could smell the dogs!

The geese never came out of the closed zone again on Wednesday, except for one group of honkers (4) that went over us at 400 yards and one small trio of snows that we took a poke at after someone else already had, but to no avail.  I guess you can't knock birds down at 200 yards....

The best part of our hunting was that my dog, now 2 years old, made some great retrieves.  Didn't lose a bird and several I would have written off without her.

Good luck to those going down for the weekend shoot.

Later.

d trees

Reaction score
Hey triger couldnt make it down yesterday due to cold setting in monday just starting to feel better today and im gonna take off in the morning for wister the way things had been sounds like you guys did great gotta love those big choclate heads landing in the dekes, d

Latest Posts

Top Bottom