Wister Report???

Chris

Reaction score
Anybody make it out to Wister on Wed.?  I need a "State of the Refuge" report.  Thanks.

d trees

Reaction score
chris I was there and it was the coldest morning that I can remember down there and very few people with that said hunted hazzard and shot one drake can and that was it past on a couple spoons and missed a drake pin seemed to me it was one of those first 45 min of shoot time hunts then it warmed up and not a breath of wind but I only hunted 10:30 and packed up , d

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks d trees.  A drake Can would be enough for me to go home happy.  I've never taken one.  I'll be out there Saturday rolling dice in the sweat line.

d trees

Reaction score
chris I felt the same way it was my first can and was happy about it but Im not use to driving home from wister in late december with one bird I hope things start to pick up , I will be back down hopefully with a friend who has a # 52 if not in the sweat line , d

d trees

Reaction score
Chris how did you do, we got lucky today 5 ross 4 snows limits for three of us , it was nice to hunt with some clouds instead of blue bird weather ,d

Chris

Reaction score
The sweat line gods were unkind to us.  We drew 51st out of 80 and had a lousy hunt.  I took a blind in 312C that has been real lucky for me in years past, but was almost completely overgrown with a small pond of open water.  312C used to be a great spot for good ducks, but I heard very few shots from anywhere around us or to the north (513B, 515), some shooting to the south 115B,C.  There are a lot of areas at Wister that need some work this off-season.  

dtrees, glad to hear you had a good hunt.  So you ended the week with a Can and a bunch of geese...not bad!

d trees

Reaction score
thanx chris yeah cant complain to much, but  have noticed quite a few spots this year were very overgrown with salt cedar and tules and one spot that i used to hunt wich says its flooded but had only about a ten foot puddle of water there next to the dyke which really pissed me off,  Is it just me or does it seem like there is not enough work going on down there ??, d

(Edited by d trees at 7:55 pm on Dec. 30, 2001)

Chris

Reaction score
I guess that depends on their mission.  If their primary objective is to maintain the area for waterfowl and waterfowl hunting, I think there is much work to be done.  However, if waterfowl hunting isn't high on their list of priorities, and the plan is to just let nature take it's course, I guess they're doing a good job.  I'm hoping the new guy out there has big plans for the off-season...wonder if he'd appreciate an email from some of us regulars?  what do you think?

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
D,
you guys were in Union 3 ? I think it was still open when I picked 50th on the sweatline Sat. We went to hazard for a duck shoot.

d trees

Reaction score
Ed we took it with the 52 pick with a res, how was hazzard I hunted hazz #3 weds for a drake can and that was it real slow. To bad I didnt know you were there I could have said hello to yah and try to one of those calls from you   how about a bribe you dont saltwater fish do yah. :angel-halo:

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Derek,
Hazard was spoon city. We hunted #1 and got a GW teal and a spoonie. We heard a barrage coming from union several times and were surprised. Way to get them. Sunday we hunted 115B and got a bluewing teal with a full crescent and another spoonie. While we were picking up the dekes a drake pintail showed up and flared. The only thing that sucked more than the hunting was the hazard mud on the dikes. Max got a blue goose Sunday and Take'em got a snow also. I fish the Salt quite often in my center console except this year  I was out of the country on business this summer. I'm going down there this coming weekend. But may hunt the WU property.

d trees

Reaction score
I have been watching a blue the last two weekends hopeing he would swing out that closed zone, nice going on your Bw teal those are few and far between I have only taken one and it was up at mendota but it was a juvy, weds that mud had my dogs toes spread about eight inches it was funny trying to get to the parking lot two leave, which WU property are you hinking about hunting I have hunted Hazzard a couple times and walts place, d

Fubar

Reaction score
d trees  Congratulations. Great hunt. What kind of a spread did you put out? Did the birds come in early or all day? Thanx            Fubar

d trees

Reaction score
about 800 or so assorted rags and about 6 or7 doz shells in familly groups if we werent shooting so poor we should of been out of there around 10 but finished 12;30 singles doubles mostly , only 1 imature ross the rest were adult snows and ross tough ol birds gotta lovem . d

Latest Posts

Top Bottom