Wister Roll Call

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I guess I'll go ahead and start a roll call for this weekends JHP coyote hunt at Wister (Feb 22 thru Feb 23).  

1. FullSack (arriving Friday night, leaving Saturday)
2. Wingman (arriving Friday night, leaving Sunday)
3. Rick (arriving Friday night, leaving Sunday)
4. Smokin54 (arriving Friday night, leaving Sunday)
5. PaulC
6. Jesse (arriving Friday night, leaving Sunday)

(Edited by FullSack at 11:02 am on Feb. 22, 2002)

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Wingman: ariving Friday night 2/22, leaving Sunday

Rick:                     "                        "

Camping in the Wister Camping Lot.

See ya there!
Steve

smokin54

Reaction score
I can show on friday and stay till sun? If you guys dont mind a greenhorn , Still waiting on my .223 from the factory so I have a limited range with a revolver

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Smokin54,

Welcome the JHP. You can bring the handgun or better yet a shotgun will work in some of the dense areas near the sea. I have used BB shot in the past and did quite well.

See ya Friday.

Steve

paulc

Reaction score
i am in.. maybe friday night till sat night or sun morn.   is the campground easy to find??

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
paulc,

If you've been to Wister before, just drive past the check in station about a 1/4 mile down and you will see it on the right.
sp

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'll roll in there about 7 ish. Friday. stay till Sunday morning.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Foulshot just let me know that he had to cancel for this weekend, but he will definately be there next weekend.

Marty

Reaction score
I won't be able to make it this weekend... Maybe sometime in the near future if I can get the to-do list shortened (not to be confused with the honey-do list).  

DFG has a Wister map at:  http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife_areas/iva.gif
I was going to link it in, but it is large in viewing size.

Hook

Reaction score
Marty,
There is another hunt in the near future, March 2-3. Hopefully you can make that one. :smile-big-blue:

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Hey fellas

Sorry about the late word, but a combination of my ride not going after all (Foulshot) and some necessary car work (new radiator), I'm going to have to bow out this weekend.  I will definitely be out there next weekend though.

Have fun and slay 'em.

Xavier

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I had to limp home with my coughing sputtering truck tonight, hopefully it's just a clogged fuel filter. If I can get it running in the morning I'll head down to Wister. If I have to drop the tank again and replace the fuel pickup I won't be making it.

Arrrgh!!

foulshot

Reaction score
Hey Fellas, sorry I had to bow out last minute.  My lab got the dewclaws removed last week and one paw got infected.  I had to take her into the vet on Saturday for a checkup.  Normally my wife could handle this but, due to her pregnant stage, I can't leave here with a sick pup.  Hope it was a good hunt and you guys left some yotes out there for next weekend.  Look forward to seeing pics.

JBarn3

Reaction score
Myself and Missouri Kid just got home from Wister. We were only able to make it out the one day. Rick, Wingman and PaulC were there, they got one yote, but it was too mangy to keep, they were gonna try again tonight. I got permission from the DFG to hunt yotes out in the waterfowl area close to camp, there should be some good hunting there. Mostly just went out to scout for next weekend when i'll have my new rifle. Hope to see you all then.

JBarn3

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the waterfowl area is shotgun only, so if you've got one, bring it. There is plenty of rifle area around, just not right by the camp. The waterfowl area reg's say no hunting except waterfowl season, no killing of anything besides waterfowl, steel shot only, nothing bigger than __. but the DFG guy I talked to said we don't have to follow those, just no rifles. Everything besides waterfowl is supposed to be protected in there, but I think they will be glad to get rid of some of the desert dogs, make the environment a little more waterfowl friendly.

foulshot

Reaction score
JBarn3, did the DFG say anything about steel shot only?  I'll be bring my shotgun down next weekend.  Do we need to talk to the warden again next weekend to verify we can hunt inside the waterfowl area?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Just returned from the Wister hunt.
As JBarn3 posted , we shot one of the ugliest dogs I've seen. Mange so bad he was bald! Sat. hunt was pretty good. We managed to get a few dogs in thanks to Rick's varment hunting skills. we had a total of 4 shots taken on Sat..
Today we went south of Niland, near the canal, and Rick bagged one. Rick called several in but they spooked and we couldn't get a shot off. Rick said it was my fault because I stunk too much and we would be lucky to see a Vulture (need shower... water is good!) . I had a couple pass right in front of me but I spaced it.:cry-blue:

We hunted until 10:00am and called it.

Official results:

Sat. 1 (Paulc)
Sun. 1 (Rick)
Wingman 0.

I had a great time. Wish I could be there next week.
sp

P.S. The campground is closed so next week you guys will have to camp at the check in lot.

paulc

Reaction score
wingman, sounds like you guys had some good action on sun morning.. even though my yodel dog was ugly he will always be my first called in yote.. i took a shower as soon as i got home just in case that mange worked its way on to me..

that may have been an endangered hairless coyote.

steve and rick, i had a great time it was fun to hunt and camp with you... did the chorizo put rick in the outhouse all night again?
jbarn3 and missourikid it was good to meet you as well.
got plans next weekend but i definetly will be visiting wister again.

Top Bottom