Wister Saturday

D Sea

Reaction score
Drew #79 in the sweatline lottery.  Woke up at 2:30 to see more cars in the parking lot that I've seen all season, not looking good for us.  The good new is we were going to get on, but our choice was between either a tule choked pond or mud flats.  We weighed the odds of finding a bird in the tules without a dog and chose the mud flats.  

Met D Trees in the parking lot after picking our spot, he faired much better in the sweatling lotto.  His buddy had hunted the site we choose and told us how to find it.  I now know I should have listened a little better.  We ended up walking past the Y-shaped dyke twice before we finally found it.  We didn't get to the hunt stake until after shoot time.

The only birds we saw flew over at or just before shoot time.  We packed it in at 10:00.  I guess it wasn't just us who experienced the poor conditions, when we got back to the parking lot, there was a group of 5 or 6 guys playing football.  

My buddy needed to do some work on his truck this weekend so we decided to head for home to see if we could get things started that evening.  On the way, I stopped for gas in Coachella, and my truck decides that its the perfect place to not start.  

AAA shows up only 20 minutes late.  Truck won't take the jump so I have him to me to the nearest garage that can fix it right away.  The only place still oven was the GM garage and they closed in 1/2 hour.  After explaining my situation, a really good guy of a mechanic decides to cancel his plans for the afternoon and work on my truck.  Initial indications were a bad battery, probably caused by a bad alternator or voltage regulator.  As it turned out when they put the new battery in it and scoped the rest of the elec. system, the alternator was okay and I paid the man and was on my way.

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with Kid Creole, Wingsetter, and D Trees and others that night,  but after the day I was having, I probably wouldn't have been the best company anyway.

I'm going to give it another try next saturday.  Afterall, it can only get better.

d trees

Reaction score
Hey d it was sure nice to meet yeah sorry you had all the problems, we did ok mostly spoons afew teal and widgys and one criped goose a guy shot in blind three which we gave back to him after all there's no glory in a bird that he nocked out of the sky first, left the blind at one to eat lunch and should have went home didnt fire a shot after that and didnt see a duck come back to the refuge in the w's or y's but a buddy has a card for weds so I will prolly be back down.d  

WingSetter

Reaction score
Is it worth going back there this Wednesday??  Have a # 60.  As I'm sure you know we shot Union for one stupid Ross.  We didn't fare as well as you did the past couple times.  Lots of looking at blank skies.  Still trying to figure out why all the geese stood in the closed zone all day and didn't come out to the field they have been in the past several weeks. The only thing we can figure is DFG planted some food in the closed zone, and there was no need for the geese to go any where.  Only 1 bunch of about 30 geese came out and worked the dekes.  Held off on some high shooting hoping they would circle and come back.  NOT!  May be Kern for the next couple of shoots.  

d trees

Reaction score
Bill I dont know, my bud has two cards for weds, a # 28 for kern and a #32 for wister the problem is there are three of us and the only way is a blind at kern and with a 28 card I dont know if there will be any left so theres our dilema,d    

songdog

Reaction score
d trees,

I was there a week or so ago with #30 and there were a couple of blinds left but we opted for area 2 since the blinds hadn't done that well as of late.  You could probably get in one but the shooting might be a little less than stellar.

WingSetter

Reaction score
D,

Been down that raod plenty of times with our hunting crew.  We usually all come to an agreement.  I would go to Kern.  When this happend to us 3 hunters, and 1 res card we had 2 go in on the resse, and one go in the sweat line.  The 2 that were in on the resse got the spot and waited for the guy in the sweat line to contact us via cell phone or radio.  Than we picked him up and all three of us got to hunt.  Kern did not fill up last Wednesday.  Most people are back to work so the possibilty looks good for Sweat to get in.  Thinking real hard of going myself, with Kid.  Don't know if I can take another Wister hunt this year.  Burned out down there, tired of looking at empty skies.  Good luck if you make it to Kern.  Contact Kid or myself if you need any infor on where to go at Kern.

d trees

Reaction score
Yeah I hear yeah song dog If it were up to me I would go to kern but its not so im just happy to go and not have sweat for once im getting real tired of not getting drawn,d

Bill thanx I have only been to kern once and this is not the time of year to go exploring I remember the advice kid gave me and next season I will be at that refuge when its slow to scout it out for futrue hunts,d

(Edited by d trees at 6:00 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

huntducks

Reaction score
d trees

If it was me I would take the #32 at Wister you know you will most likely have the 10-15 spot there over all and you know the area, my son and I were at Kern #21 day after Xmas and there was only 2 or 3 blinds left and they were either the far corner 2mi walk or the one's that shot poor all week.

Top Bottom