wister

Baldplate

Reaction score
I was thinking of hunting Wister on Wed., before heading to the Sacramento Valley for the holiday weekend.Have the snow geese arrived in any huntable numbers yet, or is it the same 1500 that have been hanging around for the past two weeks? I wonder if the geese just bypassed Wister because of the lack of quality habitat?

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Dont think so.   There have been very few birds in the valley the last couple of weeks....dont know if this latest round of storms brought down any new birds.  I am headed down this weekend to check it out.

limit7

Reaction score
If the ducks don't come after this set of storms then, they are not coming.  Hunting is still horrible and the geese are smarter than the hunters.  And where are the ducks?  Get ready for reduced limits next year.  

songdog

Reaction score
I heard that it was really poor again this weekend.  Can anyone confirm firsthand?

limit7

Reaction score
I hunted Sat. and never fired my gun.  I think my last box of shells is going to make it through the season.   There is always a rainbow.  

D Sea

Reaction score
I hunted Saturday as well.  We saw maybe a limit and a half of ducks.  I ended up killing 2 and my partner got one.  The geese were thick in the area we were in, but we didn't have any floating goose dekes to put out.  I don't think I have ever seen the snow geese work the ponds like they did on Saturday.  

WingSetter

Reaction score
D SEA,

Was down there yesterday and there was not much happening.  1 goose, and 1 duck.  Not much flying around.  Where abouts were the geese working the ponds.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
limit 7,

Don't be so focussed on the weather here in southern Calif, the cold weather needs to hit Idaho, Montana & Wyoming.  Every banded duck and goose that has been shot by me and my buddies near Wister has come from those states or Alberta, Canada, this includes 12 honkers, 1 snow and 1 redhead.  I would agree that things are slow but this is the time when you learn the most.

limit7

Reaction score
agreed......and I have spent more time this year hunting pheasants at Wister to learn more about ducks and geese.

songdog

Reaction score
Speaking of banded ducks... Kid - how many do you and your guys get out of Wister/Kern/Mendota each year?

I've hunted these SoCal refuges for over 15 years and average about 150 ducks a year... and still have yet to walk out and pick up a bird with jewelry that I or anyone I've been hunting with has shot.

Ironically, I shot my first banded bird this year in ID and it was a pheasant.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Most of you won't believe this so send any negative post to my private box or e-mail.

In 1989 myself and 8 of my buddies shot 13 banded Canadian honkers in the Imperial Valley, we jumpshot these birds out of alfalfa fields from Niland to Seely, all of the birds were banded in Montana.  I hunted with this group from 1980 until 1995 when the honkers stop showing up.  I would tell you guys the exact amount of birds we shot back then but I'd be afraid of a DFG truck in my driveway this afternoon.  I personally shot over 20, it was that good!

songdog, I have never shot a banded duck, I have two banded geese to my credit, both honkers.  In my group, all of the birds were shot around Wister, one buddy shot a banded mallard at Lake Isabella.

(Edited by KID CREOLE at 12:08 pm on Dec. 3, 2001)

songdog

Reaction score
Ok, so it's not just me then.  I always figured I shot more ducks than the averge joe over the course of the year and then when you multiple that by 15-20 years...

I've been told that the ratio is roughly 1 out of every 100 ducks is banded.  I'm beginning to think that most of those are in the Central or Mississippi flyway not the Pacific.

Just makes it that much more special when you do get one...

D Sea

Reaction score
Wingsetter,

We were in U12, the geese were trying to make their way to the green feed fields in U10 and T10  but would lite in the ponds in that area.  I saw several geese taken from U12-3 and heard the guys in T10-3 say they had 7.

It was kind of a strange day, lots of smaller flocks 20 - 50 geese and several singles and pairs looking to join up with the group.

limit7

Reaction score
that is were they are sitting on the nonshoot days.....I was up 515.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Most of the Geese were sitting in the closed zone next to the parking lot check in station at afternoon when I left Sunday.  There were a pretty good amonut there.  Thanks D-Sea will be there on Wednesday with Kid Creole, and Whiety1.  Red 4X4 Ford F-350 Crew Cab.  

D Sea

Reaction score
Wingsetter,

Good luck on Wednesday.  I'm stuck at work and at home until the 15th.  Hopefully I'll get a resi just in time for the ducks to arrive.  

d trees

Reaction score
speaking on bands ive been pretty lucky
1 mallard drake at tule
1 mallard drake at LK
1 gadwall drake at lk
1 mallard drake Lk OR
still waiting for a banded goose, Derek

Whitey1

Reaction score
2 Banded Hen Mallards
1 from Lake Isabella
1 from Mendota
Both were Banded at Mendota.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Here's my tally to date:

1 banded honker (San Jacinto);
5 banded mallards (Washington state);
1 double banded pintail drake (Salton Sea duck club);
1 banded mallard (Salton Sea duck club);

I've been in the blind when a banded Ross' goose and a double banded honker were taken, at the north end of the Salton Sea as well.  Unfortunately, I didn't get those....   BTW, the double banded honker was banded the first time when he was too old to tell his age, and the second time 7 years later.  That was one tough old goose!

tuledoghollywood

Reaction score
in 15 years of waterfowl hunting i have 4 bands
1 drake mallard  (delevan nwr)
1 hen mallard  (modoc nwr)
1 drake gadwall (sacramento nwr)
1 [[[[[[[(delevan nwr)its the one in guess these birds

on the other hand my brother has to be the luckest man alive in 17 years of hunting he has 24 bands
22 duck bands (including  
cinn teal,mallards,pintail,gadwall,woodducks)
geese bands both honkers both with neck bands
on a hunt last year a pair of mallards came in wide of me right to him he dumped them both and guess what both banded hes sooooooo lucky........

(Edited by tuledoghollywood at 11:14 pm on Dec. 3, 2001)

Top Bottom