Wolf Reintroduction

ranchwife

Reaction score
I just received this Press release.

"According to documents sent to North American Research from Felice Pace, Conservation Director of the Siskiyou Forest Alliance, and Nancy Weiss of the Defenders of Wildlife, the following events will be held in Yreka, CA:

'On Tuesday, September 11th, representatives from the Defenders of Wildlife, will appear before the Siskiyou County Board of Supervisors, to present factual information about wolves and recovery efforts aimed at restoring wolves to the Klamath-Siskiyou and Modoc Plateau regions of northern California and southwest Oregon.  Accompanying Defender's staff will be a representative of the Nez Perce tribe, which has actively participated in wolf recovery efforts in Idaho, and a representative of the Northern California Wolf Center, a conservation and education facility located in Southern California.'

Additional meetings and presentation coordinated by Defenders of Wildlife and the Klamath Forest Alliance will be held the day before, on September 10th, as well as on Sept 11th, following the board meeting.  They have extended an inviatiaon to join them at these meetings, for those interested in the development of a aupport base for wolf reintroduction in northern California/southwest Oregon region."

Did the meetings actually exist and if so, has anyone heard the results of these meetings?  
I have lived in Modoc county for 27 years, and my family homesteaded here about 80 years ago - so I'm not new to the area.  I have never heard any information, stories, or seen pictures, about wolves historically living in this part of the country.  I can't speak for the siskiyou/Klamath area though.  I am wondering why these groups want to introduce wolves in these areas?  If wolves did exist here, then disappeared before man was introduced on the scene, wouldn't that be considered evolution of a species - the change over time.  If the wolves did exist here once, then left, it is possible that the climate, food sources, shelter, enemies forced them to leave the area, thus causing the evolution of the species away from an area.

The reintroduction of species into an area concerns me because of evolutionary principles.  Once a species leaves/is removed from an area the remaining species are forced to adapt to their environment - they evolve.  Reintroducing the species would again cause the other species to evolve again - but they would not have the benefit of time to help them develop ways of defending themselves against the organism.  In my opinion, once an orgainsm is removed (or becomes extinct) from a particular area, people should not try to reverse the force of evolution, but let things continue as is.  Many times, people trying to control evolution cause more problems than not.  

If wolves are introduced into this area, we can say goodbye to the deer and antelope herds - they won't be able to withstand the current predation by mountain lions and the new predation by wolves.  We need to make sure that good science is practiced by all those involved in this endeavor.

Fubar

Reaction score
ranchwife  You might want to check with the DFG biologist in your area. If there is anything going on with reintroducing Wolves, he or she would have to know about it.                 Fubar

Modocer

Reaction score
Ranchwife, I was going to post the same press release, you just beat me to it.

One thing that you didn't mention was who the information contact was, Felice Pace of the Klamath Forest Alliance. The same guy/group that is pushing for the elimination of farming in the Klamath Basin.

Two things that really caught my eye was "the NORTHERN CALIFORNIA wolf center located in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA" and the fact that a represenative from the Nez Perce tribe was going to attend. Aren't the Nez Perce's home area in North eastern Oregon and Idaho?

In all of the time that I have lived here I have never heard  of wolves being in this area.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Wow, I'd like to find out more about this one too.  Normally, although I find myself at odds with a lot of hunters over this issue, I support wolf reintroduction.  But in CA, with the lions already eating a hefty share of the big game, I think it'd be a bad idea.  

Like Ranchwife, I don't recall reading much early literature about wolves in the area historically.  Do they belong in CA?  This sounds fishy.

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
I heard that the wolfs reintroduced to Idaho were a larger type than the ones that first inhabited the areas. Is this true?.

RanchRoper

Reaction score
I'm sure that wolves where in this area long before people.  I feel that the wolves should be introduced into California.  It is true that the lions do take alot of game in California and that the wolves will also.  However, we need to talk to our law makers and have a season on Mtn lions.  I'm still amazed that California does not alow lion hunting.

horseshoer

Reaction score
This will turn into a nightmare just like it did in Montana and Wyoming. The wolves are so much more aggressive than any other predator. They are not intimidated by the presence of human. Especially when in numbers. Lived in Wyo in 90's when the big push was on to increase numbers in NW Wyo.  Backfired and I believe wolves were thinned out. Not by the ones that increased the numbers of course, but by the ranchers that were losing their calf crops to packs of wolves. They will not stay in remote areas. There are no remote areas in Cal to speak of, not like in Montana and Wyo and it did not work there.

jerry d

Reaction score
If you want to have some "real" fun, walk into almost any saloon in NW Montana(up near the Canadian border) and say you're there to introduce some more wolves and grizzlies in the area!!!

Also, be sure to say you're from California. That way you're almost "guaranteed" to have more "fun"!!!

They've already been through the "re-introduction" phase. Now they're into the "3 S" phase.

The Fed's will reimburse cattle losses that can be positively linked to wolves or grizzlies, but as one Rancher told me, "You almost need to ketch um doing the killing or you don't get one cent. Them Federal people blame everything on the coyotes and they sure as hell don't know cattle prices".

Then, if you somehow feel you haven't had enough fun after "discussing" wolves and grizzlies, tell them you're also gonna stop more logging in the area to protect these animals!!!

But before you do this - you might want to be sure your hospitalization insurance and will is up to date!!!! 

idaho

Reaction score
If I was you I would go to all the meeting and protest and get in my 2 cents worth. We got them in Idaho against our will. They was just supposed to be in the Wilderness areas but they are scattering out everywhere. In a few years they are going to have our game so low that livestock and hunans will be next. My neighbor and a friend were bow hunting and a pack of wolves surrounded them and that is only aout 10 or 12 miles from town here in Elk City. As far as this being wolf territory. the elk were a plains animal and never moved into the woods and mountains until the wolves were gone. I question if we ever had that many wolves before.

hunter mike

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb question but have any of the areas were wolves have been reintroduced offered a hunting season on them as the population has grown?  Do they offer depredation permits for treoublesome wolves?

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
I know there will never be a wolf season in CA no matter how maney we would ever have.

John

younghunter

Reaction score
Nope, you can't hunt wolves because they are protected by law in the United States.  Anyways, I have seen the damage the wolves have done(I live in WY) and wolves should NOT be introduced back into CA.  Sure a couple hundred years ago there were wolves in CA.  But times change and the environment can no longer handle wolves because of all the changes.  But if they do introduce the wolves the 3 S rule will be useful.

idaho

Reaction score
No Hunting season on wolves and they try to put collars on all the wolves so that if someone shoots one they can investigate and try to find out who did it. Te people of Idaho and the Fish and Game were against reintroduction so the Federal Government put the NezPerce Indain tribe in charge of the introduction and monitoring the wolves.

Fubar

Reaction score
I think it is legal to hunt wolves in Alaska. Is there another state where it is legal?           Fubar

Top Bottom