Wood Bison

Makwa

Reaction score
I went hunting this past spring in the Northwest Territories for wood bison. These are the real deal...........wild bison in the northern boreal forest. Wood bison are larger than plains bison.

I shot a huge old bull that was estimated to be 12-14 years old. I also took a big black bear with an incredible hide.

I don't know, I guess it is because I live near bison ranches, but the thoughts of plugging a bison on a ranch is about as exciting as going out and shooting one of my angus steers. If you go on a real bison hunt for wild bulls in the middle of nowhere...........snow, muskeg swamps, bison that are harrassed by wolves..........well it is a whole different ball game.

I just did a European mount of my bull because a shoulder mount was going to be so huge I had no place in my house that it would fit. The skull makes a very nice mount however and looks very 'western'.

Makwa

Reaction score
Do you have to use photobucket or some such site to post pics on here? No way to upload right from your computer?

Killzone

Reaction score
OK, I wont disagree with you, not everyone can do that though. You have any pictures you can post for us.

I think I would have let the big bull live and make good calfs. Personally I dont understand killing of trophy game if you are NOT going to eat it.

The healthiest stock should be allowed to procreate. I mean what chance do they have against a high powered rifle and scope??

Ok Makwa I just saw that nice bull bison pic in your profile, cool, what did you do with all that meat?

I am seriously thinking of shooting a cow or young bull bison for the food value, got a cow elk this year.

Last edited:

Makwa

Reaction score
OK, I wont disagree with you, not everyone can do that though. You have any pictures you can post for us.

I think I would have let the big bull live and make good calfs. Personally I dont understand killing of trophy game if you are NOT going to eat it.

The healthiest stock should be allowed to procreate. I mean what chance do they have against a high powered rifle and scope??

Ok Makwa I just saw that nice bull bison pic in your profile, cool, what did you do with all that meat?

I am seriously thinking of shooting a cow or young bull bison for the food value, got a cow elk this year.
Ah yes........nice to get attacked by a fellow hunter right off the bat. Perhaps you should read up a bit on things and try and learn something before you start spouting off about it. To start with in this particular location the game laws restrict the harvest to bulls, cows and calves are illegal. Some bulls are expendable and the number of those killed is controlled by a non-resident allocation and a draw for residents.

Second, you are after the old bulls that have been kicked out of the herds by younger bulls and they are actually not breeding bulls any longer. These bulls are expendable and at the end of their life expectancy. They are found by themselves or in small groups of two or three. Hunting these old bulls does not impact the herd and does not disturb the breeding herds, which are composed primarily of cows and calves and young bulls.

The meat was used.....impossible for me to use it all but some of the locals took the rest and made jerky.

I have to say I found your comments annoying and some of the things you said tell me you you don't know much about hunting beyond your own little world and in fact are some of the things said by anti-hunters. I doubt I want to bother with this forum any longer if these are the sort of comments I can expect on it.

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
amen makwa killzone go hug a tree! you obviously know nothin about hunting!!!

inchr48

Reaction score
Makwa,

To post pics off your computer, click on the "Go Advanced" button below the Quick Reply box. Scroll down to Additional Options and click on "Manage Attachments".

You can browse your computer files and choose what Picture(s) to upload. Be aware of the file size limits though.

Hope you stick around. Would love to see pictures of the Wood Bison and the territory you find them in.

Makwa

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the bull. I will try and down size some others of the country and put them on here. A little bit computer challenged on this sort of things, especially since I just went to a Mac and do not have it all figured out yet. Thanks for the comments and the info on posting pictures inchr48 and dkhuntr25.

Attachments

inchr48

Reaction score
That is a beautiful animal. I love the contrast between the dark brown and buff color.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
Nice big old boy...I bet it was massive in his prime.

Congratulations!

hunterdoug

Reaction score
nice bull Makwa post up the euro mount when you get it done. are you doing the hide also that would make a great beadspread or rug. most of the folks around here don't lash too much usually just comments out of ignorance. the way you told how the old bulls seperate from the heard is what I've understood that makes them huntable able to spot and stock, not as many eyeballs that would be cool archery. reminds me of some of the big old hogs that get thier butts kicked and the younger stronger boar takes over the heard. congrats:smiley_green_with_e

Makwa

Reaction score
Hunter Doug..........I will post a picture of the skull for you. I have it done and just need to take a picture. I gave the hide to some friends as I already have a tanned buffalo robe from a bison bull I shot in northern Alberta a number of years ago. I'll post a picture of that bull as well when I post the skull photo.

Cheers!

Wogg

Reaction score
Makwa, was this a DYI hunt or Guided? I wasnt sure if Northwest Territories was a Guide only Province or not. Great Bull and congrats!

Makwa

Reaction score
Wogg............technically it was a guided hunt in the NWT, but I guide in the NWT. All non-resident hunters (Canadians too) have to be guided on big game hunts in the Northwest Territories.

The Alberta bull I took was DYI when I lived in Alberta. Picture below.

Attachments

Killzone

Reaction score
Ah yes........nice to get attacked by a fellow hunter right off the bat. Perhaps you should read up a bit on things and try and learn something before you start spouting off about it. To start with in this particular location the game laws restrict the harvest to bulls, cows and calves are illegal. Some bulls are expendable and the number of those killed is controlled by a non-resident allocation and a draw for residents.

Second, you are after the old bulls that have been kicked out of the herds by younger bulls and they are actually not breeding bulls any longer. These bulls are expendable and at the end of their life expectancy. They are found by themselves or in small groups of two or three. Hunting these old bulls does not impact the herd and does not disturb the breeding herds, which are composed primarily of cows and calves and young bulls.

The meat was used.....impossible for me to use it all but some of the locals took the rest and made jerky.

I have to say I found your comments annoying and some of the things you said tell me you you don't know much about hunting beyond your own little world and in fact are some of the things said by anti-hunters. I doubt I want to bother with this forum any longer if these are the sort of comments I can expect on it.

Hey Makwa,

My bad now that you have explained. please notice that I said nice bull even before you posted up the situation of older kicked out bull !

So ya I dont know squat about NWT wood bison hunting, and thats why I read here, sooooooooooo thanks and happy hunting, may your rig and chain saw always start.

Last edited:

flash-the-worm

Reaction score
Nice pics and story. A wild buffalo is on my bucket list, before I kick the bucket and get married. I had no Idea that there even were wood buffalo. Do you have to draw, how do you get tags?

nepolean77

Reaction score
I have always been impressd by the bison I read they are on their way back does anyone know what numbers there are and best place to hunt them?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Cool!

Very nice bull. A word to the wise, be sure you double anchor that Euro mount to a stud in the wall...it'll weigh over 20lbs. Trust me, I know.

Last edited:

Top Bottom