Woodduck box?????

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Gonna make a bunch of them this summer.

What is the avg. size ? I remember seeing a layout for building them in CWA's mag but I can't find the Mag. now.

Any do's and don't's ?

I probably could find 100 ponds and streams within 30 minutes of my place to hang-em.

Figure it would be a good way to get my foot in the door at some of the bigger properties around my neck of the hills.

Duck Fan

Reaction score

foulshot

Reaction score
<font face="Book Antiqua">That is a great idea EA.  I just wish we had more Woodies down here in lower Socal.  I did see some last week though at the San Diego though!</font>
wood duck box

Wildbio

Reaction score
EA

If you start having a problem with starlings let me know.   I have the number of a teacher that makes traps in his shop class at high school.  He uses the money for scholarships for his students.

Spec

Reaction score
wood duck box's if you have a project going and need wood duck box's I have a few that are stored that you can use this year plus more on the way as I am starting a new project here in the Valley! Built by student in fairfield ,let me know if you want any!!

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I've written a couple of articles on building and placing wood duck boxes properly.  One point of advice I didn't see, although I did not follow all the links, is that when placing them you do not want the front of the box straight up and down.  You want the box to lean slightly forward so that the baby ducks can climb up the inside like a leaning ladder.  I also use ¼ inch hardware screen to act as a ladder.  This is attached to the inside front of the box just below the hole.  A couple of other bits of advice on placement would be not to place them in ponds that contain large mouth bass.  It stinks when the little ducks pop out and the bass get them before they hit the water.  One last note is that if you place one or two boxes out in the open where it is easily seen you may end up with birds “dump nesting” which is where a hen flies in and drops an egg in another hens nest and never returns.  This can result in a hen trying to incubate more eggs than possible and many of the eggs never hatching.  Try placing the boxes back off the main water on tributaries or inlets so that they are no so open.  If you do place them in the open, put a lot of boxes out there so the birds have plenty of choices.

PowDuck

Reaction score
Good suggestion, Jon. I've never thought about leaning it forward a little. I'm not a big fan of hardware cloth, though. What I do is use rough-cut lumber to start with then on the inside front surface I take a screw driver and make lots of horizontal scratches across the board. This gives the little buggers plenty of places to grip their toenails into, just like a natural tree cavity.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I have found that a lot of people are moving away from or avoiding the hardware cloth all together.  I used it because all the lumber I’ve used to build boxes has been smooth finished.  A buddy of mine developed a technique using a drill and a rasping bit to roughen up the inside face of the box to make toeholds for the little ducks.  I was also unaware that a raptor’s talons can get hung in the wire as stated in one of the links listed above.  This makes me re-think using that stuff too.  In my articles that I wrote, I strongly recommended using rough cut lumber, but gave the suggestion of using the hardware cloth if the rough-cut lumber could not be found.

Here is one of my boxes.  I ran out of lumber and had to use some plywood on the top of this one.  It is in a beaver pond that we lowered and threw out some Pennington duck mix seed.  The beaver built a dam in front of the culvert and raised the water level back up.

Duck Box

(Edited by Jon Bain at 8:16 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)

Top Bottom