WOOHOO!!!!!

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I went down to the gunshop today, and my friend that owns it handed me a phone number. It turns out one of the local ranchers is losing alot of sheep to yotes. When he came into my friends shop looking for someone to get rid of them I was the first one that came to mind. I talked to the rancher already, and I'll be out there at first light tomorrow to get started. Of course, this will be a HUGE sacrifice on my part but if you can't help someone in need.....

Man...I love it when a plan comes together!!!!!

Scott

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Good for you, Scott!  Hope you have a blast.  Take lots of pictures.  

Regards,
Paul

Hook

Reaction score
Good for you, get them yotes!!!!! P.S. if you need a backup shooter or caller, just give me a call :smile-big-blue:

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
I was gonna say the same thing, if you need a pinch hitter, I am on call 24/7 :big-grin-aqua::big-grin-aqua:

Brian S

Reaction score
Good luck Scott,
  I'm sure your instant messenger is loaded after posting this message. Hopefully this guy is in D-11 and you can work  a future deer hunt angle. Are you going to call in the dogs with a lamb in distress call? I wonder if Jonny stewart makes one of those tapes.
Brian

stickman

Reaction score
"It's not what you know, It's who you know." good luck Scott, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
  Well...I went out today and struck out. I don't think this is going to be a easy fix for the rancher. They're getting some young ones with traps, but they're still losing at least 2 sheep every second or third night. He told me they've lost in the neighborhood of 30 lambs/sheep this season. They lost two last night. I don't think I could have called good enough or loud enough to make a bunch of yotes that spent the night feasting on lamb want to chase after a jackrabbit(me). I'm planning to spend a night or two next week with a spotlight, and try for an ambush.                  Scott

Dakota

Reaction score
Im thinking you'll never help.  You can't hold a spotlight and a rifle at the same time.  And coincedentally Acton is just a softball throw away!:roll-wink-green:

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Scott,

Have you thought of getting permission to use one of the lambs for a "decoy".  The russians used to use this method.  Just take the lamb and tie all four legs together so it can't get up.  I'd imagine it would ball out a distress sound that would have the local predators coming running as if the dinner bell was being rung!  Just a thought...

grtwythunter

Reaction score
   Thought about that PMI. I've been offered use of an electronic caller, I need to see if Johnny Stewart makes a lamb in distress tape. If not, I may give it a try.
   Man...I never thought I'd be talking about tying a sheep up :nope-blue:
Scott

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Scott,

Another thought would be to tie up the lamb and record it!  Then you'd have your own "lamb/sheep in distress" tape.  Just a thought...

As far as tying up sheep, well...You know what they say "Montana!  Where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous!"  ROTFLMAO!  Sorry guys, couldn't pass up the opportunity!  (No offense meant to those here from Montana).
   :smile-big-blue:

(Edited by MarinePMI at 2:17 pm on June 12, 2002)

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Good idea PMI. Thanks. I'm also thinking of using my homebrew game camera to see if there's any pattern to how they come in(ie. time/direction)               Scott

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Just ordered a lamb/distress tape. I'll keep you guys posted.             Scott

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
The gamecam may be the trick also that way you will know what and when the lamb killer is coming in for the kill. WBH

EVAN III

Reaction score
      Lamb in distress sounds like it might do the trick. Or you might just have to go with a STEAKout. *LOL*   Tying up a lamb doesn't sound bad either.
Hope to see some pics sone, GOOD LUCK

EVAN III

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Scott,

Might also want to check out Varmint Al's webpage.  He's got some links to sites that have a lot of info on coyotes preying on sheep.  Good luck.

Paul

ranchwife

Reaction score
This isn't the most legal way of eliminating coyotes, but has the rancher thought of "doctoring" up a dead lamb?  That would help eliminate the problem and fairly quickly.  You have to make sure that domestic dogs can't get to the lamb or the dead coyotes though.  Just a suggestion if the rancher is loosing that many lambs.  He may also want to contact fish and Game for their help - or to see if there are any arial gunners in the area.

rusman66

Reaction score
A couple of coyote barks and a good howl before you start the distress call should get those dogs going.   And uh I can hold that flashlight for ya.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
  Got one this morning. Didn't call him, just taught him a lesson about standing on the side of a road within shotgun range. I'm still waiting for the tapes I ordered before I do too much out there. I'm going out Wednesday morning for a few calls.
  One other bright spot....the caretaker took my advice about human scent in his traps, and has got 5 in the last week. I'll keep you posted.                    Scott

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom