Would turkeys be able to smell beef Jerky...

VA Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll,
I know that turkeys have a poor sense of smell. If I am turkey hunting and a hen (not aloud to shoot) walks REALLY close to me, would she be able to smell the beef jerky I am chewing? Thanks,

Buddy

killinturks

Reaction score
dont know about that but i was told that if turkeys could smell they would be impossible to kill.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
It is extremely unlikely that she would smell anything,but if your chewing something when she walks by it is highly likely she will see you moving.

RSB

Reaction score
Originally posted by Passthru@Apr 5 2003, 08:24 PM
It is extremely unlikely that she would smell anything,but if your chewing something when she walks by it is highly likely she will see you moving.
I agree!

VA Hunter

Reaction score
I will have my mouth diaphram in my mouth most of the time so, it won't make a big difference. I know that foxes, coyotes, etc. are predators of turkeys. Would turkeys be able to smell their urine if they walk right over top of it? Thanks,

Buddy

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt that turkeys smell much of anything,let me put it this way,They depend on thier eyesight and hearing exclusively.I hope that helps you.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I dont think Turkeys can smell at all. I think their nose is strictly for breathing.

This week I was on a hunt out of state where some Georgia boys smoked cigars while hunting. I thought it would affect the hunting, but it didnt. While smoking a stogie, this guy shot 2, count em, 2 longbeards at under 15 yards. I would think they would at least see the smoke, but evidently the wind dissipated it quickly enough.

Whoever said above that turkeys would be impossible to kill if they could smell is right! They are already the most nervous and wary adversary a hunter could ever have. If they could smell, they would be impossible to kill.

Wild Turk

MBullism

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that buzzards and vulture types were the only birds that could smell... (roadkills excluded
)

Top Bottom