WTH? Brand-New Marlin 336 BL .30-30 - Front sight loose?

TheGDog

Reaction score
Ok... so... with my first trip to an indoor range (i.e. dimly lit) I realize that my recent decline in nearfield vision made trying to aim with these (IMHO horrible) "semi-buckhorn" sights an issue. But even with my vision issues I know what kind of consistency in aiming I should be capable of. Yet the results that day at 25yds were awful!

To that end... I've ordered a scope and mount.

But in the meantime, I decided to remove the front site hood... if only just to see if that helps the visibility situation. It did seem to look marginally better (at home.. in daylight).

But today... checking the situation out again... after reading about the procedure one has to go thru to replace the stock front and rear sights (sometimes by knocking them out of the press-fit dovetail with a brass or plastic punch)... I decided to inspect the front sight blade manually and WTH??? it is easily able to be pushed back and forth!!

For the benefit of the doubt... I even tried putting the front site hood back on to see if it's design is meant to hold the front site blade in place or something. That is NOT the case! It can easily be moved about 1mm!

Did anybody else experience this issue? How does one fix this issue? This model has the front site blade mounted in a structure than then mounts to the barrell with a single screw.

Can't believe this sh!t

-G

Robbos

Reaction score
Hate to drive a man to a different forum but if you don't find the answers you seek here, Marlin has a forum filled with folks and experiences with their rifles. Was looking at a 45-70 gov for a bit and heard some rumblings about Marlins quality or lack thereof the past few years.

quaildeath

Reaction score
What he ^^^ said about quality...
If the dove tail is loose a smith can shim it or will add extra material by welding or soldering and sand it to snug it up.

If you think it is the screw loctite. If it's brand new you can send it back also.

For your older eyes, check out a rear peep site. I put one on my Winchester 94 in .357 and it is awesome.
I believe the manf. was Wilson or Millet.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
I've already got a Vortex 2-7x32mm CrossFire II coming in the mail.

I plan on walking around with the scope on it's lowest setting most of the time for fast acquisition and and learning to fire with both eyes open. Depending on how much I like the optic... if I'm happy then great. If not... I may go for the XS Skinner Ghostring site. That one looks kinda nice like it'd be fast acquisition.

And get this... the stock front site blade is plastic! (I'm pretty sure. It's at least a not a ferrous metal, anyway magnet won't stick to it.)

Top Bottom