Wyoming deer and antelope in 2014

ophir284

Reaction score
Our group of 4 or 5 hunters is interested in hunting deer and antelope in Wyoming next year. We do not have any preference points so we need a high success random draw area. Any ideas regarding deer areas? (F, T, etc?) and nearby antelope zones? Any help is greatly appreciated since several of the group are venturing out-of-state for the first time. thanks in advance.

SoJo

Reaction score
I hunted Region C this year for Mule Deer in Wyoming, but that's was based on bidding on a hunt during at a CDA event. Hunted near Sheridan/Buffalo areas and on private land in the Bad Lands region. First time mule deer hunting in Wy - have usually hunt Elk near the Green River Wilderness

Rubikinda

Reaction score
I do WY every year & just got back from my trip this year. WY F & G doesn't lie when they tell you the easy draw & leftover tags are for "limited access" areas. However, if you are willing to invest in the GPS chip and put some wear on your boots, you can have success as did I this year. I compare the deer hunting in these zones to hunting a D zone in CA. More hunters than deer, and the quality is very poor. I ate my tag this year as I held out for a mature buck which I never saw (on public land). The antelope hunting is pretty good success if you are willing to walk away from the road hunters. I killed my buck 3 miles from the truck. Elk hunting will be hit or miss and you will need luck. I wasn't willing to fork over $600 for a tag in a low success/ quality zone so I bought a reduced price cow/ calf tag. As my luck would go, we ran into a herd of 100+ with 3-4 really nice bulls... I shot a cow.

Long story short, if you work for it you can kill your animal(s). I've been doing it every year for 16 years & usually fill my tags unless I'm picky. It is essential to have a good GPS with the landownership chip if you hunt these areas. In WY, it is your responsibility to know who's land you are on & it doesn't matter if it is posted. Keep in mind also that a lot of areas that have easy draw/ leftover tags are grizzly country. It's no joke that a gunshot is like a dinner bell to them!

If I were doing this with a group for the 1st time, I'd do region M deer & antelope 20 or 21 and skip on the elk. You can get these as leftovers most years. Base out of Ten Sleep, WY which has quite a bit of public land just south. Pray for NO SNOW so the deer stay high don't move down the hill to the private land.

SoJo

Reaction score
I saw Ten Sleep on the map and never went there to check it out this year as just days prior to us arriving in Wy this year is when they got dumped on with 2' snow in Sheridan. Needless to say we went up the Big Horn after we tagged in the Bad Lands (Crazy Woman) and saw a 500+ herd of elk sitting on private property....crazy when the storms blow in and all that front range is private....
I do WY every year & just got back from my trip this year. WY F & G doesn't lie when they tell you the easy draw & leftover tags are for "limited access" areas. However, if you are willing to invest in the GPS chip and put some wear on your boots, you can have success as did I this year. I compare the deer hunting in these zones to hunting a D zone in CA. More hunters than deer, and the quality is very poor. I ate my tag this year as I held out for a mature buck which I never saw (on public land). The antelope hunting is pretty good success if you are willing to walk away from the road hunters. I killed my buck 3 miles from the truck. Elk hunting will be hit or miss and you will need luck. I wasn't willing to fork over $600 for a tag in a low success/ quality zone so I bought a reduced price cow/ calf tag. As my luck would go, we ran into a herd of 100+ with 3-4 really nice bulls... I shot a cow.

Long story short, if you work for it you can kill your animal(s). I've been doing it every year for 16 years & usually fill my tags unless I'm picky. It is essential to have a good GPS with the landownership chip if you hunt these areas. In WY, it is your responsibility to know who's land you are on & it doesn't matter if it is posted. Keep in mind also that a lot of areas that have easy draw/ leftover tags are grizzly country. It's no joke that a gunshot is like a dinner bell to them!

If I were doing this with a group for the 1st time, I'd do region M deer & antelope 20 or 21 and skip on the elk. You can get these as leftovers most years. Base out of Ten Sleep, WY which has quite a bit of public land just south. Pray for NO SNOW so the deer stay high don't move down the hill to the private land.

sjlarussa

Reaction score
It is 100% sucess to get a tag in Montana if you apply for the combo elk/deer tag and fairly easy hunting on public for good sized deer not monsters. Let me know if you want more details.

coothunter

Reaction score
I was looking at Region D for deer next year. It looks as though there is a good amount of public land in the Snowy Mountains. Does anyone have experience there? Is it worth the tag?

AJEICHHORST

Reaction score
sjlarussa, If you are willing to share some information I would be very appreciative. Me and my father have been hunting the Ten Sleep area off and on for about 30 years, and are looking for a change. We would be highly interested in trying Montana for a combo elk/deer hunt.
Thanks,
AJEICHHORST
It is 100% sucess to get a tag in Montana if you apply for the combo elk/deer tag and fairly easy hunting on public for good sized deer not monsters. Let me know if you want more details.

mattdeere

Reaction score
Rubikinda, I'm thinking about doing the same thing next year with some new hunters. Have you ever hunted 20 or 21 in Wyoming? Not looking for trophy we just want to fill some tags. Thanks.

Top Bottom