X-12 scouting

BDB

Reaction score
Well, Backcountry, in2blacktail and I went on a scouting trip this weekend. Had a blast and an awesome hiking trip. Didn't see as many bucks as they saw 2 weeks before that, but I absolutely love the country up there (10,000+ feet). We saw the biggest bobcat on the planet I think. I told Brian (in2blacktail) that I thought it was a lion but he was 300 yards closer with 10X vs my 8X binos and he confirmed it was a bobcat, but damn that thing was huge. Here is a pic I took of Brian and I while hiking and checking out areas.

Good luck to all of you hunting the high country, just thought I'd share what I thought was a pic of good muley country way up high.

Attachments

huntducks

Reaction score
Yep beautiful country HUNT HIGH that's where there all at

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Good looking country, and cool pic. Hope you guys score big, remember hard work pays off.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Hey, I know that area. Good country. Do any fishing while you were up there?

Backcountry

Reaction score
The creek in the drainage we were in is fairly small and up quite high, plus we were trying to stick to the ridgetops for bivy sites and good glassing locations, so we didn't fish. Next weekend we're scouting a larger and more remote drainage and we'll probably take our poles for a mid-day catch-n-release diversion.

For those that have been following the saga of BDB’s shoulder injury, I can attest that it doesn’t seem to slow him down hiking at all… he’s a hiking machine! I do think however that he’s still in a bit of pain because he was also on a mission to drink an entire bottle of “pain medicine” by himself on Friday evening. Good thing I like medicine too!

Here's a few more pics from the trip.
Backcountry

Wildflowers with Sawtooth Range in Background

JHO'ers Backpacking: Backcountry, BDB, and in2blacktail bringing up the rear.

Glassing up high with my sweet pup Bailey

Enjoying life!

p.s.
Originally posted by Mel Carter@Jul 27 2004, 11:15 PM
...remember hard work pays off.
Thanks Mel! After a couple trips charging up and down the mountains at 11,000' with 35+ lb packs on, at this point all I can say is "hard work is hard". Next month we'll try to change that to your slogan!

BDB

Reaction score
Great photo of you and Baily !! I definitely need a spotting scope but my self imposed 4 step recovery program to "reduce spending" is slowing me down a bit

Backcountry

Reaction score
Brian says he's buying one before our next trip so we'll have two between the three of us... I'll use a mono-pod instead of the tripod next trip because that's Brian's tripod in the picture!. Of course, I feel a "need" for a tripod, and at $25 the Bushnell field tripod (sub 1 lb!) is a sweet deal, but after all the other crap I've purchased for this hunt (special camo, non-ball-chaffing drawers, bow doo-dads, "medicine"
) I'm just going to make due with one of my hiking poles and some duct tape.

Backcountry

superduty

Reaction score
Backcountry, I have really enjoyed all of your pics and posts.
You guys look like your ontop of the world when your out and about like that. Take it safe and we will be looking forward to seeing all of your efforts paying off in the near future. I don't know if you guys Iron Man any of those big deer out of there or not but if you feel like giving it a dry run I would be willing to strap a chair and myself to the back of one of you guys for your practice. I could use some of that beautifull scenery unless your a Girly Man like Arnold would say and you need to quarter your deer to get them out. In that case I don't think I'm up for that.

Backcountry

Reaction score
Oh now that's mean... challenge a guy's masculinity in order to get a free ride up the hill. That point noted, and being the girly-man that I am, I'll pass; however, I'm also generous and care about people, so I'll rig up some kind of sling for BDB and in2blacktail (real men with energy to burn!) to haul you along with us next time... I'll photodocument!

Backcountry

BDB

Reaction score
Quartered? Still sounds a bit heavy to me. We'll be completely boning out any deer if we get lucky. Yeah, I'd back out too if I were you, but being quartered by backcountry sounds better than being "boned" by him

Backcountry

Reaction score
Yikes!
Homey don't play dat!

Note 1 to self: don't drink coffee without first plugging nose when reading BDB's amusing drivel.

Note 2 to self: buy new keyboard.

Note 3 to self: begin interview process for new hunting partners.

superduty

Reaction score
Man, I'm wiping the tears from my eyes!!
Now that's funny.

BuckFinder

Reaction score
BDB and crew, thanks for sharing the photos. With all of the time and effort you three are putting in, I'm sure you'll be in the right spot come opening day. What's the story with Bailey? Is she a Mule deer retriever? Good luck. Only three more weeks!

Backcountry

Reaction score
Well we're glad that you all are enjoying our pictures. Thanks for your vote of confidence, but believe me, we have our work cut out for us. A lot is going to have to go right, the winds need to be steady, and we'll need a bit of luck thrown in too. Still, seeing how there's three of us working together and supporting (and ribbing) each other, one of us should have an opportunity to at least blow an easy shot...

As for Bailey, she's just 7.5 months old, but she's a backpacking machine (we don't put a pack on her because her frame is still developing, plus she's black and we don't want her to overheat). I'm doing the training myself, when I get the time, and she's a decent retriever considering the very little time I've put into it, but just for birds, not mule deer. In fact, those pictures are from the only hunting/scouting trip she'll accompany me on... it's just too much for me to keep my eye on her and be on the lookout for deer, and then of course there's the scent issue during hunting season, and if I want to stalk something she's going to want to tag along. She does however have an outstanding "big girl" growl/bark when bears come around.

Backcountry

lxtrail

Reaction score
hey there fella's hows it going, i work up on the sonora pass a few miles off the 395 have you tried the area up here there are some good area from what i see. we have spotted a few shooter so far this year we are always looking and ill keep everyone informed.

Attachments

Backcountry

Reaction score
We know there are deer pretty much all over the whole Sierra Crest. We've either seen them ourselves or heard about them from other folks. The Sonora Pass area isn't an area we plan to concentrate on simply because X12 is so darn big that it's tough to scout more than 2-3 canyons before the season starts, and we've selected locations that are a bit harder to get to than area off Sonora Pass. Who knows whether that will pay off, but at least we'll see less people.

Thanks for the info though, and I'm sure someone will make use of it. Between you, Wogg, and paid2raid, there's several JHO'ers that seem to have that area covered just about every day.

Cheers,
Backcountry

Latest Posts

Top Bottom