X 20 in Pelican 1020 with Pix Univ Cntl Board

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I just completed this Cam Its tiny... Its a Minolta X20 Digital Camera in a Pelican 1020 MicroCase with a Pix controller Univ controller and Powered by a 9 Volt battery with 3 D Camo...

Hardest Cam Hack yet I have done. the connections are the size of a Pinhead to solder to within the camera, But sure makes a small unit, Takes great Pctures too, Im really impressed with it so far, Plan to build a few More, anxious to get this lil one out in the woods tomorrow.

I used a .50 Inch standoff for the Board. still getting 70 feet of range out of it

X20 in a Pelican 1020 with Pix Univ Board

Dan

chardy

Reaction score
I try to click on the site. It goes into a error mode. Saying need to Log on and not owner of site.

bat

Reaction score
Great looking setup OBH, now that is small!

bat

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Dueber and MiBowHunter Thanks for fixing the Link. I seem to always get that messed up.

Bat it is small.. In the 1 picture I laid my wallet next to it as a comparison.

Moosejaw, It was hardest hack I have done yet on a camera, the connections to solder too are very tiny. My eyes for that clsoe stuff are not the best, but there as small as the very tip of a pinhead. with some coke bottle eye assistance I was able to get it.

I like the way Bills new board functions with the leds and auto walk test mode then goes rite into arm mode. Gives you flash indication on each process. User friendly.I was concerned about the side mount dip switch and sensitivity pot for access, but now after seeing it, its really easy to get to and does work out rather well and can be used in front or back modes relatively easilly.

I wanted to use the phone cord connection, but I actually had to remove the phone port from the baord it was to large to work off the .50" standoffs. was not allowing for clearance. so I hard soldered to the baord and used the servo connector for quick connect.

Dan

bat

Reaction score
Dan I saw that wallet picture, that was an excellent comparison to show the size.
I just noticed the Thread title shows 1120 but the information shows 1020, I'm guessing that is a 1020 case. Let me know which is correct and if the title is in error I can go in there and fix that for you.

That small cam will definitely look good in the woods but you had better start using the GPS for the locations when you put it to work
bat

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Bat,

Yes your rite that was an error on my aprt.. Its a 1020 micro case. not an 1120.. thanks for catching that.

Dan

ghoot

Reaction score
Very nice. As small as it is, it looks like you still have room to spare.

bat

Reaction score
Got it, just wanted it to show up correct in case someone later did a search for it.
bat

W

wildebeast

OBH...
Nice job on the cam.....glad to see Haymakers board fits into a small case. It looks like a great board.

I really like the 1020 case, just wish they made it square so more boards would work. Have three out now with 32's in them and have three 41's I soon will get done.

For durability I still like the 380.

Now lets have some big buck pics. By the way I checked some cams this morning and had 40 pics on three 380's of elk...several small bulls but not the ones I'm after.

cliff

Carll

Reaction score
....wow..thats small, they would almost fit inside a knot in a tree...lol, whats something like cost this to build? be great to have out to watch over your other digital's to catch thieves!!

bowarr

Reaction score
Great job as always, Dan!! How long is the battery life for one of these beauties? My main concern is security. How are you attaching it to the tree and locking it?

chardy

Reaction score
Dan,
That is small. Nice setup; you are the man.
What did you use for the out side of the boxes???Coating/Paint

You might have problem finding it after you put it in the woods.

theck

Reaction score
Nice job Dan. I like the camo job. I have one I camoed and a dipped case. I actually think the 3d camo blends in better than the dipped cases. It is also cheaper.

Haymaker

Reaction score
Dan,

Great looking setup! Would you mind if I posted these photos on my Universal board example page?

dueber

Reaction score
Dan
How is that battery attached to the case?
And is the camera just resting snug in the foam, or is it secured some other way?
Thanks

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Thanks everyone...

Cliff,

I also like my 380's I think I will always be partial to them. there just all around great Cameras. Good Luck on those Elk. Always enjoy your shots. I have 3 P 41's in the wings myself.

Carll,

I have rite around $200.00 in this setup complete. It takes nice pictures and the flash is VERY good for a digital. I do like the smallness.

Bowarr,

Battery life is good. about same as Sonys from what I understand. Its my first build on one of these type units, But so far Im liking it. For security Im Using the Pythons. I attach my cams to tree with rope ratchets and that allows easy access in and out and hanging it. I then lock them with a Python cable lock thru ring eyes or EzWebs, In this case eye Bolts and wrap the cam and whole unit rite around and against the tree.

Chardy,

Its a 3d Camo effect. developed by others, Gunn Doc originated this effect. Its construction adhesive laid on and smoothed then a razor blades used to create a Bark effect as it tacks up, then paint it to choice. I use 4-5 colors on mine Black as a base sprayed on then 4 follow up colors that blend to my area and tress I place my cameras. I have somw Moss on trees by me, so added the green , they blend real nice.

Theck,
Thanks... I think its just preferance, I like the personal touch.

Bill "HayMaker" Thank you...Sure you can use the Pictures if you like on your site... I dont mind... Tomorrow I check some cams for 1st time in 2 1/2 weeks cannot wait...

dueber,

The 9 volt battery is in a holder and attached to the case with stainless #6 x 32 machine screws pan head. Thru to the backside of the case... on backside on nut heads are cut off and ground flat and then Gooped to seal 100% waterproof.

The Camera sits in the cavity and is held in place with the boaf insert, I used the hinge Bungee setup, But did not like it in this small setup. so used the foam to incase the came and a Backing block to apply light pressure on the backside of the cam to seal against face gasket. worked out pretty well Im happy with it.

Dan

Haymaker

Reaction score
Thanks Dan! I appreciate that. Looks like a great little system!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom