x-8(a-15)

hardwoods

Reaction score
has anyone got drawn for this recently I was thinkin about putting in for a tag (archery) just because my dad got drawn twice in the early 90's and was 2 for 2 and now he's willin to take me so any reports would be helpful. Also when is the deadline for the drawing?

MQ

Reaction score
Beautiful country up there. Got a buddy that lives there. but deer are not all that plentiful these days. But with some scouting should do OK. Deadline is around June 1. Applications come out in 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck

Ooops, just read the post just below. Sounds like the Big Game Booklet is now online and they should be in the mail soon.

Rampage1

Reaction score
I drew that tag in 2004, I got skunked. I hunted around Red Mtn, like mentioned before deer are few and far between up there. I've only seen three deer up there but two where NICE BUCKS.... Good Luck.
Rampage

Kentuck

Reaction score
Deer are getting more sparse up there. Between development and some sort of virus outbreak a couple of years ago the zone just isn't what it used to be. Proof by the fact that I think there are only 30 archery tags given out now and no deer were taken with a bow there last year. When I first started hunting X8 there were 1100 tags. Beautiful country and should be loaded with deer, but, sadly this is California.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
As stated by others. X8 ain't what it used to be for various reasons. The Monitor Pass area and the Raymond Mnt area is some wonderful country. Maybe look more towards a D5 tag and save your points, if any, that way you have a much larger region to explore. Scout.
Maybe start scouting up behind Caples Lake or Silver Lake.
Or the Deer Valley Area near the Blue Lakes.

Good Luck.

swayback

Reaction score
Red Lake mtn used to be good, but not anymore. The areas behind Silver Lake are d5, behind Caples (over the summit) is x8. The area with a few nice bucks is Burnside mtn area. Hunted it for years and did very well. The whole area was logged and then burned, and it was good hunting for a few years, but it still has a few deer. One giant buck that comes to memory was a 32", spike/fork. 8" bases! Access the area from where 89 t's into 88. Go straight across 88 and onto the dirt rd for about 7-8 miles, theres deer in there. The last x8 tag I had was in the late 90s, killed a small 3x3 blacktail across from Red Lake mtn in the quakies. Lots of great looking habitat, but the herd is suffering from loss of wintering habitat (Minden). The backside of Red Lake has an old 4by rd that leads to Elephant Back, thats where I stalked a beauty for a few days, he's still there.The 4by rd is closed, but you can walk in.

hardwoods

Reaction score
thanks for all the reports my dad said he killed both of his right by red lake but he hasnt been up there since the 91/92 season so things could be completely different but I think it will be fun just to try and get the tag even if I dont get one I still have ice house an union valley

Rampage1

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hardwoods @ Apr 22 2008, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks for all the reports my dad said he killed both of his right by red lake but he hasnt been up there since the 91/92 season so things could be completely different but I think it will be fun just to try and get the tag even if I dont get one I still have ice house an union valley[/b]
You will have a good time for sure! It's all great looking country and there is lots of great fishing in the area. If you do hunt around red lake hike to the top of red lake peak... The views will not dissapoint!

Kentuck

Reaction score
If you get a bow tag let me know. I know a spot that has held some decent bucks the past three archery seasons.

hardwoods

Reaction score
ya if i get a tag ill tell u and thanks for offerin up some spots kentuck

swayback

Reaction score
That was the first zone I ever went on a hunting trip to, Im sure I was about 6 years old. Red Lake is loaded with brookies, the fishing is usually outstanding. Brings back tons of old memories of hunting with my dad and brothers, gotta love that. Wouldnt mind drawing it again just to refresh memories of the good old days!

Top Bottom