x10 G38 need help

t.thompson

Reaction score
Hi Guys and some gals
I live up in Turlock ca. and have never hunted this zone or ever been down their, would like info on what areas to go to or start from, or even a party to hunt with, any info would help thanks also hows the weather at the end of aug and nov

Last edited:

brianattaylors

Reaction score
I've hunted this zone the last few years, x10 and the g38 hunt (late season), this year drew the G38 tag again, and A19 as my second tag. Late August is still really warm especially in the southern region of the zone. I've not had success and am now on my third year of hunting this zone. Have come across a few bucks, but nothing I would pull the trigger on, forks and 3 pointers. The biologists will push you towards the Monache Meadows complex, but beware on weekends, the area is an OHV area with tons of Motorcycles, and jeep enthusiasts, not against it, but not great for those wanting a quiet hunt. I have seen tons of sign, alot of it old, weather is key in this zone. These deer do not usually move until after the season closes. Scout, Scout, Scout, this is big country, binoculars and good spotting scope, topo maps and gps are a must. There are deer there but you have to get off the roads and get up high. As usual if you get weather, you will see animals, lack of weather last season hurt bad, late November and it was still almost 70 at the highest of elevations in the zone. Highly recommend packing in and being prepared for several days of hard hunting. It's beautiful country, ranges from dessert to thick high mountain pine forest. Problem here is local herd is small, and no numbers until the migration starts which runs through the zone, and unless we get weather that will not happen within the season.

monarch

Reaction score
Like Brian said, this is a hard area to hunt. The success rate is very low for a reason, but there are some nice bucks. You have some resident bucks who are pretty smart and know how to stay hidden. Its very hard to glass for deer because the country is so vast and the deer are spread very thin until the migration. It has been a very dry few years, so think water. The river is too open for deer to water at in most places, so they find smaller hidden sources of water. It took me five years to kill a good buck in this zone. I saw a lot more deer by glass/move/glass/move than just finding a good vantage point and glassing for hours. Even the resident deer move a lot, so you have to find where they are. My family had a very large piece of property in Kennedy Meadows for years and we would occasionally see some real nice deer, but good luck finding them when you wanted to. Do your homework and find some water far from any roads or trails and hike. If you are in good shape it will help, because you really need to put some miles on your boots (or bring a horse) to get to where others will not be.

Bubblehide

Reaction score
If your going to hunt, at least set yourself some standards. Okay, all razzing aside. The zone has been running a 4% success rate for years now, with the exception of last years X-10 hunt (10%), with the G-38 hunt still running 4% success. I'm going to assume that your hunting the late (G-38) season. It is a tough, tough, tough discouraging zone to hunt. But if you do stick with the zone, you can learn a whole lot. During the general season, the deer are dispersed throughout the zone, with the majority of the deer along the western edge of the zone. The deer really don't begin their migration until after the late season has closed. However, there are a few deer that do move toward the east slope during the late season. The vast majority of the few deer that do move during the late season, are does, with a few small bucks in the mix. So, don't get the impression that the late season hunt is a migration or rut hunt, it's far from either, and thus the 4% success rate. With the exception of a few remote places along the north western edge of the zone, you will find plenty of people hunting, with and without horses; so don't get the impression that using horses will get you away from other hunters. If you know how to manage pack animals, and have them, they sure can make things easier and much more comfortable.

Remember that your in the Sierra's, and weather can come in at any time, even August; and there can be isolated storms. During the late season, the weather can be anywhere from the 80s on down during the day, at high elevation. I've been in there during the late season where it never got above freezing during the day, with 60+ MPH winds; and all the water sources were frozen. I've also been in there when it was in the 80's during the day, and freezing or below at night. I chatted with one guy a couple years back, that took his son in there, and a storm blew in. He subsequently cut his hunt short, as he just wasn't prepared for the weather, despite him thinking he was. As I recall, it rained for about 3 days straight on and off, with some snow in the highest elevations; but nothing to get the deer migrating. If you do get weather in the late season, I strongly recommend that you have a tent with a packers stove, as you will need it. I strongly suggest the stove, even if you pack in, as you can always retreat back to a base camp, during a storm. The season ends November 3rd, and the weather usually doesn't really hit until well past the end of the season. There is usually a storm or two that blows in and out prior to or during either the general or late season, with about 6" of snow dropped; it's simply not enough snow to get the deer migrating.

The western edge of the zone is much thicker with vegetation than the areas just west of the eastern slope. If your anywhere near the eastern slope, you can find vast places to glass; not so on the western end. Thus, each end of the zone (East and west) offers a very different type of hunting experience. This is not to say that there are not thick tree stands and thick brush on the east side of the zone. Even during the late (G-38) season, the deer are still on summer mode, and have not really moved to the southern slopes; they often use a bit of both north and south slopes, but generally bed in the thick cover, usually north slopes. There are of course exceptions to this.

If you have any specific ideas of where you would like to hunt within the zone, I'd be happy to discuss them with you. However, I have not spent any real time in the southern portions of the zone; although I have heard of a big buck being seen regularly somewhere on 9 mile cyn.

Bodfishdeerstalker

Reaction score
I've hunted this zone successfully 3 times since it dropped to 2 periods. Each time I would pack in to just above Dutch John flats. The theory for me was to use the pressure of all those hunters to my advantage. So I would hunt slowly just below the rim back towards Round Mountain. I've seen a lot of deer using this plan. As far as size of deer the smallest I connected with was a 23" 3x3. Be prepared to hike and use your glass and be ready for any weather. Have seen temps as low as 13 and as high as 80. Good luck and remember every hunt is successful as long as your out there and enjoying it.

Top Bottom