X2 Buck

off trail

X2.......

I wanted to cash in my 8 points. It was down to X5A or X2. I ended up applying for X2 and drew the tag. I herd all this hype about "the Burn". Opening day I hunted "the burn" I walked most the day, I saw a lots of animals 25-30 but no bucks. At the end of the day I wasn't to impressed with that area. Don't get me wrong it looks great in there and there's lots of animals in there. However the amount of pressure in there was crazy. People, side by sides, trucks, roads everywhere, it was totally not my style.

Day two I woke up early, 5 am ripped down some coffee and drove west to some spots that I scouted in the more or most remote parts of the zone. I wanted to get out into the rocky, flat , remote parts of the zone that I had been thinking about all summer. I wasn't looking for a bunch of animals or a small buck running with the does. I was looking for 1 Lone deer, 1 Decent Buck. Walked away from my truck before sunlight, the terrain was flat and rocky, very rocky. My plan was to walk along this creek /canyon area and then hike back across the road when the forecasted east wind began to set in. The fist few hours of the morning didn't turn anything up. I walked back to the road and up the other side. I saw a buck on the move (a slow walk) at a distance. I took a quick look at him through the bino's, saw 4 on his left side and I had to make the quick decision. I couldn't resist. A few shots later he was down. It all happened so fast and worked out perfect, I was on a solo hunt and he was within dragging distance to the truck. A fellow hunter and his son drove by and helped me lift my trophy into my truck. Thanks!. He's not the biggest buck but I'm happy with him. In the end the hunt was short and sweet. I was satisfied on the long drive hm.

IMG_3144.jpg
IMG_3136.jpg

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Wow that buck has a nice solid rack wtg off trail, thnx 4 sharing your successful hunting adventure story and pics. R u going to do a stuff mount or euro mount.....tra

off trail

Thanks for the comments guys. It's nice when you get one worthy of the wall. Going with the euro mount. It was one of those day when it all came together.

Cheers!

tylercreek2

X2.......

I wanted to cash in my 8 points. It was down to X5A or X2. I ended up applying for X2 and drew the tag. I herd all this hype about "the Burn". Opening day I hunted "the burn" I walked most the day, I saw a lots of animals 25-30 but no bucks. At the end of the day I wasn't to impressed with that area. Don't get me wrong it looks great in there and there's lots of animals in there. However the amount of pressure in there was crazy. People, side by sides, trucks, roads everywhere, it was totally not my style.

Day two I woke up early, 5 am ripped down some coffee and drove west to some spots that I scouted in the more or most remote parts of the zone. I wanted to get out into the rocky, flat , remote parts of the zone that I had been thinking about all summer. I wasn't looking for a bunch of animals or a small buck running with the does. I was looking for 1 Lone deer, 1 Decent Buck. Walked away from my truck before sunlight, the terrain was flat and rocky, very rocky. My plan was to walk along this creek /canyon area and then hike back across the road when the forecasted east wind began to set in. The fist few hours of the morning didn't turn anything up. I walked back to the road and up the other side. I saw a buck on the move (a slow walk) at a distance. I took a quick look at him through the bino's, saw 4 on his left side and I had to make the quick decision. I couldn't resist. A few shots later he was down. It all happened so fast and worked out perfect, I was on a solo hunt and he was within dragging distance to the truck. A fellow hunter and his son drove by and helped me lift my trophy into my truck. Thanks!. He's not the biggest buck but I'm happy with him. In the end the hunt was short and sweet. I was satisfied on the long drive hm.

View attachment 75996
View attachment 75997
[/well we did the exact opposite we avoided the burn and hunted where i had traditionally hunted in the 70's and 80's where we used to see tons and tons of deer well we were seeing on average 2 to 3 does a day we hunted these areas for four hard days and never saw a horn we had made 4 scouting trips before the season and my wife said this is what you used to do? didn't see shit scouting ,,,, hunt time from sat to Tuesday not a single buck. period not a spike not a fork not a anything. Wednesday we hit the burn at daylight chased a buck,,, he got away,,, then ended up with a broken up 3 by 4 and a fork within an hour and a half mile from each other. we saw more deer in a morning at the burn than we saw the entire hunt to that point,. these were the only bucks that we had seen to that point. from what i saw the burn is it. the old traditional areas from the past hold very very few deer. not saying that a buck couldn't be scrounged up in any area of the zone. but it is way different than it used to be. we went into the hunt with pretty high expectations even though scouting said otherwise. hunted hard for 5 days before we even saw a buck. yes we each tagged out ,,,, 8 years boy i dunno

Top Bottom