X2 - Collins Timber Question

FastGM3

Reaction score
I've never hunted X2. I'm not looking for spots but I am a bit more curious about the Collins Timber property. Who did you contact in the past for permission to hunt and where were you given that permission? Sounds like they may not be giving permission to hunters this year but I'd like to know who to contact if possible. On this map, I circled an area I'm guessing since it looks like national forest surrounded by their property was the area they gave permission too? Or was it all of their property? TIA Feel free to PM
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 5.32.32 PM.png

hntndux

Reaction score
This was posted by mass-n-trash earlier... Travis Erickson, Lands manager for the area....and this is a direct quote via email, "The decision has been made to close all access to the Company’s lands in Modoc County for 2020.

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
Lee Flederjohanan (spelling?) retired a few years ago and Travis Erickson (w/Collins Timber out of Lakeview) is now in charge of this area. In the past, you were required to get a trespass/permision pass to legally hunt in the area you are asking about. My nephew drew X2 this year as well and I did indeed contact Travis (as I have in the past) and his response was that there will be no access granted to the area for this years hunting season. I have spoken with several of the locals and they too have received the same response. This is disturbing because of the fact that pretty much the entire area is part of the Barry Post burn scar...and probably where 80% plus of all the bucks taken in the zone have come from in the last several years. When you do your research, you will hear most Folks simply refer to the area as "the burn." The deer density is hands down the highest in this area, but the average age class in the burn has (IMO) been going down most every year. This is simply because of the fact that sooooo many bucks have been taken from this particular area. Having said that, the buck of most hunters dreams most likely does indeed live in this zone. Don't pay much attention to comments on the migration from Oregon. Although some bucks do migrate down, it's NOTHING like it used to be. Remember, Oregon has gone to "visible horns" just across the state line as well. In short, the monster buck you are looking for is most likely living in the zone at this very moment....but don't bank on hunting the burn!
We will be up there as well....GOOD LUCK!

M-n-T

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
UPDATE: I did receive a phone call from Travis Erickson today. He did indeed confirm that Collins Timber lands in X2 would not be open to the public this season. He also added that the area would be patrolled and closure enforced.
From what I was told...A combination of knuckleheads ruining it for everyone last year and the potential liability issues, along with liberal nature of California and it's targeting of what's perceived "deep pockets" is to blame. For those of you with X2 tags this year, you really need to be aware of the Collins Timber property boundaries. This is a very large portion of the north east corner of the zone!

M-n-T

FastGM3

Reaction score
UPDATE: I did receive a phone call from Travis Erickson today. He did indeed confirm that Collins Timber lands in X2 would not be open to the public this season. He also added that the area would be patrolled and closure enforced.
From what I was told...A combination of knuckleheads ruining it for everyone last year and the potential liability issues, along with liberal nature of California and it's targeting of what's perceived "deep pockets" is to blame. For those of you with X2 tags this year, you really need to be aware of the Collins Timber property boundaries. This is a very large portion of the north east corner of the zone!

M-n-T
Thanks for the update. It's gonna be interesting. I'm contemplating a scout run late Sept.

Top Bottom