X7B Struggles

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
Waited six years for this tag, and to say the least, I was shocked at the lack of deer I experienced. I hunted two areas; one at the end of a spur road between Boca and Stampede, where I parked my ATV at the dead end and hiked up the western slope of Verdi Peak a couple miles... the other I parked at Flouriston on the north side of 80 and hiked up into the rocky crags I've been looking at all these years. I probably spent 20-30 hours in the woods/peaks/crags, and never saw a single deer. No doe, no fawn, no nothing.
Did anyone else have this kind of experience? Maybe I should have sat in the campground at Boca and waited for a forkie to walk by!! Interested to hear...

hntndux

Reaction score
I grew up hunting X7b back when it was just X7. Quality and numbers really went down hill about 20yrs ago and my last hunt up there was in 2009 with my son on an apprentice tag. Couldn't believe how much has changed. Lots of development in the migration paths, dirt bike riders EVERYWHERE and lack of deer. We always killed nice deer on the backside of Verdi up from Floriston and along the highway where the rock quarry is around the old shooting area was always another top spot. When we did find bucks they were spindly horned. Sure there's a few big ones roaming around, but that place has really tanked and I wouldn't hunt it if it only required 1 point. Sad to see, used to love that place.

JohnCo

Reaction score
I hear you man. I drew an x6 zone 3 years ago. Hiked and glassed a number of places and there just wasn't many deer or deer tracks or sign. I was a little bummed considering how many points it took.

I had planned two scout trips before season but both fell apart due to family and work emergencies. It was almost a 7 hour drive to get there too. First trip hunted three days and saw one buck, a thin horned 3x3 that ended up being the best one I saw. Second trip I knew it would be my last so I took a small forky.

I didn't see any hunters that were on foot. Which is usually a good thing. There was great country with some great regrowing old burns. I did a good job of getting away from roads and places that could be glassed from roads. Perhaps I should stayed on the roads. Saw a nice 4x4 that was shot by the road past where I drove in to hike.

I know there's good bucks there, but with the limited time, no scouting, and living far away it was just a challenging hunt. If I don't have enough time to scout, I'm just going to have to hunt closer to home for a 'lesser zone'.

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Fawn predation by bears and general predation by lions is a very large factor in many zones. (Now we have wolves moving into the north state . ) Predator management is NOT a priority with the newer folks in the D of F GAME . L.A. and the SF Bay Area votes in our representatives and governors . Then the elected folks appoint leadership in DFW. Rural counties have little say , the cities control us.

Look at newcaliforniastate.com

BTW , I am switching from my normal X zone for a couple of reasons. Its a bummer having to learn a brand new zone at 56 yrs old but it needs to be done.

Good luck out there and VOTE CONSERVATIVE !
As Winston Churchill said ; " If you are not a liberal when you are young, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative when you grow older, you have no brain " .

BOW

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikenSoCo Mule Deer Hunting 5
A Mule Deer Hunting 6
D Mule Deer Hunting 4
M Mule Deer Hunting 1
W California Hunting 4

Top Bottom