X9a Area

el hunter

Reaction score
I have a question about camping at X9a can i drop camp anywere or does it have to be were there is camp ground only. And if it is camp ground only do we have to pay for camp site. Thank you.

hntnnut

Reaction score
All the developed campgrounds that I know of are fee areas but you can dry camp on forest service and BLM land just make sure you stop at a office and get a fire permit.

Richard

easymoney

Reaction score
What hntn said.
Also if you plan on heading into the wilderness don't forget a wilderness permit. Great zone and great country, good luck...

fritojay

Reaction score
i have camped at Glass Creek Campground several times and it was a no fee camp. just north of Mammoth on the west side of the 395, i think it is right across the street from a cal trans or some other kind of road work yard. nice campground. hunted the zone twice now and love it.

el hunter

Reaction score
thanks for the info . about the wilderness permit were do i get one at i didnt know about this i really appreaciate your help.

Reaction score
You can go to the Forrest service office in Mammoth and pick up a WP.

BUT you only realy need it if spending the night in the wilderness and if thats the case check early because some trails leading in have quotas and they tend to fill up.

M

Dain V

Reaction score
I have hunted X9a twice now. Always hunted west of 395, never paid to camp, besides the forest advt pass. Good luck

hntnnut

Reaction score
I have hunted X9a twice now. Always hunted west of 395, never paid to camp, besides the forest advt pass. Good luck

Forest adventure pass? You don't need one up here.

Richard

el hunter

Reaction score
k about the wilderness permit is one per person or for party. And what does it cost.

Reaction score
THe WP is Free and its for the party so if you have a trail with a quota of 10 peeps a day and you have a party of 4 you best get on the list asap.

THen again I dont use trails so its not all that big an issue I just get a permit and go walkabout

M

sagebrush

Reaction score
Hey Fritojay, or anyone else that might know for that matter:

Are bear cannisters required at Glass Creek?

imnrut

Banned
Reaction score
What's a wilderness permit?...

don't answer this question Mark.

fritojay

Reaction score
sagebrush i have only camped in the campgrounds and have not used a bear canister. i am not sure the best way to keep all of our food and drink when we camp there. we usualy camp a week at a time and have a lot of viddles.some of the camps have bear lockers type compartments but not glass creek.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
We always stay at Big Springs Campground. Its been a great place to camp for our group. 2 miles away from 395, so you can jump on the highway to head to your spot. Its nothing fancy, just a place to throw a tent up and catch some Z's inbetween hunting...

fritojay

Reaction score
i can second big springs.have stayed there once while scouting.good area to stay and centraly located.

Reaction score
What's a wilderness permit?...

don't answer this question Mark.
Jeeze, busted again...........

Did Brandon tell you about my plan to put a LoJack all your trucks so I can track you?

I mean his plan, yeah his plan......shomething about payback for Pipes and stuff.

On a serious note from the scouting I've done so far X9a looks like its going to be good this year for antler growth.

jerkee

Reaction score
I mean his plan, yeah his plan......shomething about payback for Pipes and stuff
Don't you know - I can't draw a tag in Cali! Was up in 9a today though and the feed is looking mighty scrumptious. Bet them antlers are lovin' it.

Reaction score
Ok Ok so that was my plan :lol bashing sign: I'll own it cause you 3 are just on another level.

I've only been over the 1 time I told you about and that spot looked good so I can only imagine the places you hike into.

I went up and looked at one of my old D7 spots where I killed my '05 buck and found a very nice must have been lost from 9a buck hanging around in a very killable spot.

Scouting both zones is gonna be tough but so far so good. :smiley-mouse:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom