X9B Archery Hunt

Ruger44

Reaction score
Taking my 15-year old son for his first bow hunt. We drew for X9b (bishop area) . I realize the odds are not that great in this zone, however any ideas about general areas to hunt and any other suggestions would be appreciatted. Thanks!

prohunter

Reaction score
welcome to JHO! i cant help you with this zone, but if you try a search on the muley forum or bowhunting you might find what your looking for. good luck!

COHunter

Reaction score
Maybe Jerkee can help you. He post on here

Big_C

Reaction score
Welcome to Jesse's! Someone went up scouting in Coyote Flats last month. Check the old posts and email whoever it was to see if they'll help.
--------------------------------------------------------------edit--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try this:
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index....howtopic=113234

Also Capt Nixon was planning a trip up. I don't think he has a tag so he'd probably be willing to share whatever he found.

timsms

Reaction score
Hey Rugger44,

I am the one who posted about coyote flats.. I was not able to get up there to scout, but to get there you take hywy 168 out of bishop and head for lake Sabrina. Get a forest service map and it will show you the way. The main thing, as everyone tells me, GET INTO THE HIGH COUNTRY..When you have driven as far as you can go, or want to go, take a pack and bag and hike UP... at least a couple of miles from the nearest road. Get up at 3:30 and be in the pace you want to choot well before daylight, and glass, glass, glass..
Good luck,

Thanks,

Tim

Glass eye

Reaction score
Not all deer are in the high country, some are in the sage brush country and hide very well.
One trick in locating them is with a fawn bleat. It will not call them in but it will get them to stand up and look, giving away their location.

Gyopo

Reaction score
There are deer in the sage. I saw some splattered on the 395.
I have hunted up there and saw plenty of sign below South lake.
I hiked in and spent a couple days there.
I also hunted at the top of Big pine.
Took the Hway to the top and walked up to the head of the canyon.
I just hiked up, took a nap, woke up, and started glassing.
It was just a short walk on a trail. Killed me a deer too!

The severity of he hunt depends on your son's (and your) physical and mental preparation.

I went up on a few scouting trips before I went and got lost looking for Coyote flats.

It is some beautiful country.

I think this area has promise. Just people don't want to invest the time or effort on an area that has such a low success ratio.
The old DFG books had x9B as the zone w/the most buck over 4 points taken.
Good luck w/it

Capt. Nixon

Reaction score
Ruger44: As Big_C said...i just got back from a fishing trip up there...didn't see any bucks..but quite a bit of sign...But I do know a little bit about the area...have you been up there before? email me with what you already know about the area and i'll send you some info back. I can at least put you on the right track and give you some ideas on where to camp, scout, eat, gas-up, etc...you get the idea.

hntnnut

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to JHO,

Shoot me an email, maybe I can help.

Richard

Cda55

Reaction score
First of all, welcome to JHO. I hunted X9B last year. Coyote flatts is a great place. You need a tank to get there. Pretty fun road in. The comment about glassing says it all. I didn't bring anything home so my intel means nothing. I am sure someone here knows the area well and can give you a few pointers!

Top Bottom