X9B

Cda55

Reaction score
I'm planning on going up to X9B this coming weekend for a little scouting. I don't know if I'm going to work Saturday or not. If I don't It'll be no problem. But, if I do it puts us getting there at about midnight. Does anyone know of a motel around Big Pine that I could stay at for a night? Is there a place there to pick up a map on a Sunday? I wish I was rich and didn't have to work but I still do.

Cda55

Reaction score
Not really sure. I've never hunted around there but I'd be willing to buy one. If anyone is close enough to get one during the week, I'll mail you the money and enough to make your time worth something.

fishboat1

Reaction score
Hi cda55,

Your best bet for X9b scouting would be buying a INYO national forest map from the ranger station in Bishop. Use the map to find and drive to Coyote flats. You can access that area from Bishop. You will need a 4 wheel drive . Once you are in Coyote flats area scout the east facing canyons above hwy 395 south of Bishop to Big Pine. Big area with lots of big deer. Good luck

In reply to your origional question regarding camping, I would suggest camping in Coyote flats as it is a long, slow drive to get there. Also check with the ranger station regarding fire restrictions.

Mike H

Cda55

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for anything but a place to stay and scout. If anyone has a map they'd like to get rid of I'd be willing to buy it. I just don't want to get there and not have a map to scout with. Thanks to all who reply. Clinton

fpscabs

Reaction score
You can find the map at most map stores for the same price. I have seen a few Nat. Forrest Maps at some Borders or Barnes n KNowble book stores. You can download some basic topos off the links found on JHO. OR, just stop by Nat. Forrest ranger station and get what you need.

Which way are you getting into X9B? Bishop is only 15 miles from Big Pine and might have cheaper rooms. Make reservations if you plan on staying. THis time of year there are lots of NO VACANCY signs.

Cda55

Reaction score
I'll be coming in from the Mojave side. I can't get off work to get to any places during the week.There are no DFG except for Fresno and it's an hour away. I doubt they would have anything for Bishop there.

Big_C

Reaction score
If you can't get away to buy a map at even a local ranger station, BLM or DFG office, try going to topozone.com. You can search a landmark name (e.g. "Monache Meadows") and it will give you a scalable top map with 4x4 roads, trails, etc.

Whenever you do get a chance to go to a ranger station, for $25 they have a book of 7.5 minute topo maps of the entire Inyo National Forest. Kinda like a back country Thomas Guide & much more helpful then buying individual quads.

I just drove through Big Pine yesterday and the hotels didn't appear to be full. I think there is one there called "Starlite". There is also a Best Western just outside Independence, I believe. If it isn't Independence it is just outside one of those little cities (Big Pine or Lone Pine). Lone Pine has a ton of hotels to serve the Mt. Whitney crowd.

Good Luck!

C

prohunter

Reaction score
I have one. I don't know how I would get it to you before the weekend. Any ideas?

YORT40

Reaction score
To be on the safe side, you should try to get a reservation @ a motel. At this time of year the Owen Valley is stuffed with visiting Europeans & backpackers. Lone pine & Bishop are the most popular areas. I went in to the Ranger Station to get a weekend camping permit to scout the Rock Creek area, they gave me one of the last permits.

deadducks

Reaction score
Get a motel in Bishop and do try to get a reservation. Most motels also allow pets. Most stores in Bishop have the maps. I bought them there last year.

Also I think on LINE St. / or the main road going west out of Bishop it's a HWY with a sporting good shop on the corner. Down the road a little is a ranger or forest station.

I think most of the sporting good stores sell the maps though.

Good luck

Cda55

Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks for all the help guys.

Cda55

Reaction score
It looks like I can get a map at the local stores there. Thanks for the offer Phil.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
CDA if your coming from Mojave stop at the ranger station at Jawbone Station. You can get the BLM surface Management Maps there . You'll need Three Rivers. Mount Whitney, and Bishop. I would also get the Inyo NF map. Not sure if they have it at Jawbone, but they should have it at the Interagency info center on the south side of Lone Pine.

Top Bottom