Yamaha Big Wheel 200 to get around ev

kodeman

So I picked up a 1987 Yamaha BW200 to get back and fourth around deer camp . I've heard people use these for hunting . Going to either buy or build racks front and rear to aid in hauling a buck back to camp . Anyone else have one ?

I tired posting a picture of it but this site doesn't like my iPad .

Brnsvllyjohn

I have a 1987 Honda Fat Cat 200 in near mint condition with racks front and back. The front rack was actually built for the Big Wheel. I used it some in Idaho but not much in California. The problems I had were on snow and ice. Going straight was OK but getting into corners on ice was an issue. I now use quads because I am older and they are more stable. With the rules the way they are now on most forest land where I hunt the 2 wheeled vehicles are not much of an advantage over a quad. Not saying they will not help a lot but personally I went to a quad. My son now wants my Fat Cat. There was a time when Big Wheels and Fat Cats were all over in Idaho and I saw a few bucks get carried out on them. One thing I did do in California is park my truck near the bottom of a long canyon and then off load the Fat Cat (and now the quad) and ride it up the road so I could hunt downhill back to my truck. Then get in the truck and go get the Fat Cat. Works great for a guy who hunts alone lot.

kodeman

I have a 1987 Honda Fat Cat 200 in near mint condition with racks front and back. The front rack was actually built for the Big Wheel. I used it some in Idaho but not much in California. The problems I had were on snow and ice. Going straight was OK but getting into corners on ice was an issue. I now use quads because I am older and they are more stable. With the rules the way they are now on most forest land where I hunt the 2 wheeled vehicles are not much of an advantage over a quad. Not saying they will not help a lot but personally I went to a quad. My son now wants my Fat Cat. There was a time when Big Wheels and Fat Cats were all over in Idaho and I saw a few bucks get carried out on them. One thing I did do in California is park my truck near the bottom of a long canyon and then off load the Fat Cat (and now the quad) and ride it up the road so I could hunt downhill back to my truck. Then get in the truck and go get the Fat Cat. Works great for a guy who hunts alone lot.
Hey John , yeah I hear ya on the ATV being more stable . Where we hunt I usually drive up to 10miles from camp to get to certain areas then walk,hike from there . I picked this Big Wheel up just for an extra "Toy" for camp . Parts are hard to find for the old machines but EBay has proven to be best . I made a front rack for it , have to make the rear next .

I have a 1987 Suzuki Samurai I use as my main hunting vehicle . We used to have ATV's but they just sat in the garage all year besides hunting . At least I can drive the samurai around town all times of year and is an extra vehicle .

Picture of rack i just just finished up , I ordered some handlebar gun rack and some other goodies for it , waiting for them to arrive .

Attachments

Brnsvllyjohn

I think my back rack came off of a Honda 350?? street bike that a friend was junking. It took very little modification to make it work out. I got lucky.

ive got two Honda fat cats myself. currently customizing one for my fiancé. I use mine or will use mine in Idaho for elk hunting. a lot of the trails there are dirtbike only!
john id like to see your mint bike if you don't mind sharing. I love these things!!!

Attachments

Hey John , yeah I hear ya on the ATV being more stable . Where we hunt I usually drive up to 10miles from camp to get to certain areas then walk,hike from there . I picked this Big Wheel up just for an extra "Toy" for camp . Parts are hard to find for the old machines but EBay has proven to be best . I made a front rack for it , have to make the rear next .

I have a 1987 Suzuki Samurai I use as my main hunting vehicle . We used to have ATV's but they just sat in the garage all year besides hunting . At least I can drive the samurai around town all times of year and is an extra vehicle .

Picture of rack i just just finished up , I ordered some handlebar gun rack and some other goodies for it , waiting for them to arrive .
looks like you got a nice low mileage unit with oem rear tire still on it!! congrats!!

Brnsvllyjohn

ive got two Honda fat cats myself. currently customizing one for my fiancé. I use mine or will use mine in Idaho for elk hunting. a lot of the trails there are dirtbike only!
john id like to see your mint bike if you don't mind sharing. I love these things!!!
Looks just like yours with less dirt but it does have some dust on it right now. It has not left the garage in 5 years. I will see about getting a photo some time. My back rack is chrome and a little different shape.

Top Bottom