Yashica EZ Digital Camera 1.3Mpixel

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have had several people ask me about the Yashica brand digital cameras so I looked up the different cameras on their website.  Called the techical support guys and asked questions.

I started with the Micro Elite 3300 like the one in the cam trakker.  It ran about $330 which is around the same price as the Elph S100.

I then looked at the Finecam F3 wheww around $400 so I immediately went on.

I finally looked at the EZ digital and it looked like it had some possiblities of being able to work in a deer cam.  I got on Ebay last night an bought one for about $100.  Hopefully, it will work and this would be a good low cost digital for people to use.  It has max resolution of 1280 X960.  The internal memory can be used unlike the AOL because this unit is supposed to print the time and date on the image instead of relying on the properties of the picture.  Of course, I can't say any of this for sure until I get it in and test it.

jayber

Reaction score
Sounds like a good lead......hope it works like you expect it to!!  I'm still trying to nab one of those Elph s100's....

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Camera is due to be delivery Feb. 26.  I can't wait to take it apart and see how it ticks. :)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
OK.

I received the Yashica EZ Digital camera yesterday night.  I couldn't stand it so I started playing with it right away and decide to take it apart and try to wire into it.

All the functions of the cameras seem to work fine for being used in a deer camera system.

1. Time and date with pictures.(properties not on picture itself)
2. It keeps the modes you put it in even after powering down and back up.
3. Picture quality is supposed to be 4 X 6 inch quality but I have not tested this yet.
4. The delay on power up is like the Canon Elph S100.  It is directly related to the Compact Flash Card that is put inside.  I have allowed for this with my digital chip so no problem.  It does take about 6 seconds to power up with a 128Mbyte card though.
5. It has an LCD status screen on top that will let you know how many pictures are left and battery power and other stuff that is useful.
6. Flash seems strong but can't tell except by the sore finger from touching it on accident many times.

All in all it looked like a most promising camera.

Now.  I started about 7:30 PM taking this camera apart.  It looked like it was going to be easy the way the buttons were made seemed like just soldering to them would be easy.  It took me about 1 minute to get just about all the stuff apart on the camera except the part I needed which was the top cover where the switches were located.  After about two hours of poking and proding I finally found where the screw was hidden holding the top on or at least I thought.  Once I removed this troublesome screw and after about ten shocks from the flash unit. Man that hurts.  I thought I had it made.  Nope.  There is a surface mount rotary switch that is fastened to the top that I could not figure out how it connected.  I finally got upset after another good shock from the flash unit and tore the surface mount switch off.  After this I decide that I would find out one way or another how this switched attached.  So I took the surface mount switch apart from the ground up.  I spent some time messing with it and finally gave up.  Now I started putting things back together after soldering to the appropriate lands on the camera board which was really easy after I tore the top of the with the surface mount attached.
I soldered  the surface mount back after destroying it and tried to fix it best I could.

Needless to say I finally got it all back together at about 10:30 PM and it all works.  The surface mount switch is a little flacky since I lost some internal parts but now i know to leave it alone while taking the camera apart and just bend the plastic cover up and solder to the switches without removing the rotary switch.  After checking out the pictures and making sure they are good I will try to get another one and take a different approach on soldering the connections to it.  I took a lot of pictures while taking the camera apart of where the screws were located and how to take it apart but once I started having trouble I quit take pictures.

I checked the camera out with my chip last night after I wired into it and it works fine.  I need a little pressure on the rotary switch now but I can fix that.  I will remove it all together if it quits working.  I plan on building a box for it soon and putting it out to take some pictures.

I will try to post some them after I get some of deer in the woods.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Good job Brian, sorry about your finger!!! Ouch!!!:skeered:
I think I'll start looking for one.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I figured it out.

I finally decided after the rotary switch would not work properly, after I destroyed it, to completely take it apart.

I had been so close to getting it right the first time but I was scared of putting the needed force on the button.

Now I would say this camera is fairly easy to wire into.  I had to take my rotary button off and wire small 30guage wire wrap to the small pins to replace the surface mount rotary switch I messed up.  I accidently wripped the lands off the board and had to jumper things to the surface mount switches.  Whewww it was rough but I got all of it to work properly again and I finished the complete camera last night.

I posted a link to the my website where I posted four pictures of the completed unit.

http://briang.netfirms.com/page18.html
http://briang.netfirms.com/page19.html

I will put it out this weekend over some corn and see how the pictures look.  The only thing left to check is the quality of the pictures and how well the flash works.  The flash seems strong for a digital camera but you really can't tell until you take a picture at night.  Oh yeah.  The camera uses four AA's for power and it has a power inlet so an external power source to run the camera would work just fine.  I have been using the same AA's now for several days and they are just now showing signs of going down.  I took a picture with the Canon Elph S100 of a mounted deer in my office and I took a picture with the EZ Digital of the same deer with a little different angle.  You can tell there is a difference but probably not enough to make a difference.  I can email the pictures to anybody who wants to see the difference.  See if you can tell which one is which.

I will get the how to on wiring into the camera, which will be a lot easier now that I figured out how to take everything apart, together and get Jesse to post it for me or put it in a document to send out.

(Edited by Brian at 10:34 am on Feb. 28, 2002)

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Looks good Brian.I'm going to find one. Will you e-mail me the two pics and see if I can tell the difference.Thanks

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Nice job Brian,
I see you have started to build boards with the PIR built on the same circuit as your timer. Is this something you will be selling also? Is that camoclad on your housing?

CB

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
TNDEERHUNTER,

Their on the way.

Coyotebandit,

Thanks,

I have always built my own boards.  Since about 1995 or so.  I have some pretty elaborate stuff I have built over the years.  You should see my video camera control board.  The new micro chip will reduce that board to practically nothing.  It is on the drawing table too.

I hadn't planned on selling the completed PIR boards since it was not cost effective compared to just buying the MS20 or RS sensor.  The only advantage on mine is that it only draws 20uA when idle and you can adjust the sensing distance as needed.
Now that I use the optos I expect to get a year or more out of my nine volt battery.

Yes it is camoclad.  I have been using it now for a year or two since they came out with the new colors.

Brian

(Edited by Brian at 11:01 am on Feb. 28, 2002)

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Thanks Brian, I can't tell much difference in the two except that the second one is a little clearer.I'm going to bid on a camera today. Oh yea the file size is much larger on the second one also. Thanks.

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 11:37 am on Feb. 28, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You do neat work, looks like you got a machine shop handy !

Are all those wires coming out of the camera?  looks like a gazzilion.......

REALLY a nice job

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn,

All the wires are my mistake on messing up the rotary knob on the camera.  You will only need four wires to control the camera.  Two for the on/off button and two for the shutter.
I will trim the other wires later so they are not in the way but for now I am still playing with it and figuring out just how I am going to hook the wires up for when it is in the woods.  I have to replace the rotary knob with a switch arrangement of some kind so I can change modes in the field.  I figured out how the wires are to be connected but I have not trimmed them to length and hooked them up to an external switch.

Thanks again

Munce27520

Reaction score
Brian; Excellent job. I can't wait to graduate into the digital enviroment. All the photo's on your site look great. I hope I can get some quality shots such as yours.

Dobler

Reaction score
What about an Olympus D510 model.  I see they sell for around 250 and are a 2.1 meg camera?

Bownut

Reaction score
Brian,

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I have a couple of questions for you.  I checked out your pdf files and I'm not all that great at schematics.  Is the schematic a representation of your etched board? In other words, if I purchase your board and an rs pir and one of the Yashica EZ digitals will I have to purchase alot of extra stuff off of the schematic or is most of that included in the board?  I read where you said the camera connector and wires weren't included.  I've built about ten of the basic cams (no chips or timers) and am pretty fair at soldering and connecting wire A to point B, so to speak.  Just trying to figure out if I have the capability, with your help of course; to try this digital setup out.  Sorry for rambling on, but I am so sick of having to wait for film to be developed.  Thanks for any help you can give.

God Bless!

Dbworld

Reaction score
is this the YASHICA KYOCERA EZ 8MB 1.8"LCD DIGITAL CAMERA  the same camera?   Seems like it is but it's a little confusing in the ebay auction.

Bownut

Reaction score
Looks like the same camera to me.   What about it Brian?

God Bless!

Top Bottom