You Trail-Cam...How Much did it cost??

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I was curious to know how much time it takes everyone else to build their trail-cameras and how much you-all spend on parts for each completed trail camera.

I was just tormenting myself by figuring out how much each of my trail cameras costs to build.  When I added in every scrap of Plexi-glass, all the nuts-and-bolts, welding rods, broken drill bits, shipping costs, taxes, and other assorted stuff, the total cost for tools and materials alone came to about $120.00.  The  Owl PF camera ($55.00) and the Pelican box ($24.00) were the two major costs.   Then when I added in about $15.00 per hour for time spent the price went through the roof!

So I figure with about 12 to 15 hours spent start to finish to build the things (including confused head-scrathing and the inevitable trouble-shooting), it costs me about $300 - $340 for each trail-camera with materials and "labor".  My finished cameras have lots of features that are not available with the  "commercial" products, but it's still upsetting to think that I could have just went out and purchased finished trail-cameras for this price.

Never did figure in a monetary value for going "Home-Made" as opposed to "store-bought".

Archilochus

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think about the cost because I enjoy putting them together.  There's no fun in buying one from someone else compared to telling someone you built it yourself.  

Materials run me around $100 - $110.  I don't go around looking for bargains.  I just go to RS and get the things I need.  Biggest costs are the camera ~$50, RS PIR $25, PVC Box $11.

Todd

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I figure it takes me 8 to 10 hrs from start to scratch too, and cost is about $110 or so:

Cam PF - $55,  20 - 30 Min's to Mod
MS20 --- $ 9, 20 - 30 min's to Mod
Pistol Case - $6.50  2 hr to fit parts in foam, Mod & Camo, etc
Two Stage Timer----RS parts ~ $20 - 4 hrs to build
Misc (Batt's, Film, Bungy, Camo Tape, etc) - $15

Reading this Forum - Priceless

I usually figure Hobby Time is free labor and build several for Family and Friends for Cost.  I did sell 4 for $175 to help pay the parts cost of my personal units....

I knew these guys, it's too much work to build one for someone I don't know

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
I must agree with Todd and Tinhorn on this one. I have about $100 and 6 to 7 hours on each cam. I also found it to be not as much fun building the one's for the family members although they seem to fully appreciate them. I guess that's good enough for me.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
i spent right at $106 out the door for my first one and the next will be slightly less since I have some stuff left over from the first one. some things you cant buy just enough for only one, such as wire, etc.

wvhunter

Reaction score
I ended up with 89 dollars in parts and 6-8 hours of labor.

BlackWater

Reaction score
Just making the basic cam: around $80.00 and 4hrs, although I will agree the first cam took about 7hrs to put together.

K

KsBowhunter2

$110 - 120 for parts, and 6 - 8 hours labor for the last two. The first one cost almost $200 to build, I smoked 1 camera and 3 MS20's before I figured out that a 30 watt soldering iron was to big.8^0

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Once I got better organized I can crank out a cam in about 6 hours. Cost has varied, I already had a bunch of Ni-Cad batteries and Wal MArt had the Regency MS20 on sale for $5.95 so my first ones cost about $80.00. I've been buying my switches and jacks in bulk from All Electronics to cut costs. One of my recent upgrades was the camera sky 1A filter lens for the camera shutter window which ads another $10.00.

I guess with my time included it'a about the same if I bought a commercial model cam. One big plus I have found is what happens when the unit breaks. My Dad had his Camtrakker back for repairs for 3 months right in the middle of hunting season. That would kill me. If mine breaks I know how to fix it and can be back in action in a day at the most.

Here's a recent pic from Missouri.

Seems everyone knows Tinhorn.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom