Young athletes and travel teams

Brnsvllyjohn

For those of you with young athletes how do you handle the coaches when they start asking for the kids to play on a travel team all year? At what age would you even consider letting a young person play on a travel team? On the local news in the last 2 days they have been reporting that the young athletes that play a single sport year round are more prone to a serious injury than the ones that participate in multiple sports. I think baseball was the worst for boys and gymnastics for girls. Maybe just more opportunities in those sports to travel. The young ballplayer is not my son so I can just give my opinion but anything younger than about 15 is too young for me. I was amazed last year how many 10 year old boys play ball all year. This year is a year later and of course the same questions will get asked after Little League. I have a buddy who traveled with his son from age 11 till age 16. He said they loved it. No his son did not make the pros.

I had major issues with high school coaches about my son missing a practice to go deer hunting. They absolutely freak out. As a result we did not hunt Idaho together for almost 15 years from his first trip till his second trip. High School, College, Marriage , job and kids. Amazing how you turn around and you are 65 and they can finally get enough time off to go on a 1 week hunting trip again.
I see the travel teams being something that takes all of the families spare time and keeps families from doing other things together. I know it isn't actually 12 months but almost.

Last edited:

OPAH

Sorry nothing here John, I would be hard pressed until they graduated first

baco

Daughter has been playing softball since she was 6. Started with spring and fall little league then around 11 started on travel ball. It is a family commitment for sure as most of our free time goes into it, but she wants to play collage ball and it is her choice. Luckily for us her coach is a outdoorsman himself so we still get to go hunting and fishing

Farallon

Travel teams can be a family activity, your buddy who participated with his son is proof of that. The man who taught me how to hunt had a father who did not participate in his son’s activities. They hadn’t seen each other for years when the father died.

Too bad you didn’t realize until your son was 65, he didn’t want to hunt with you.

Brnsvllyjohn

Travel teams can be a family activity, your buddy who participated with his son is proof of that. The man who taught me how to hunt had a father who did not participate in his son’s activities. They hadn’t seen each other for years when the father died.

Too bad you didn’t realize until your son was 65, he didn’t want to hunt with you.[/QUOTE

You misunderstand what I said. Lack of time off kept him from going out of state with me. We hunt California a lot together. We hunt deer the most but also waterfowl and we fish together as much as possible. My point was simply that things that you don't have time for when they are young you might never find time for. We would have gone to Idaho 2017 but he had an X2 tag. We went to Idaho in 2015 and 2016. He killed a really good archery buck in 2017 while hunting with me. I would have gone to X 2 with him except the evacuation from the October fires messed up all of our X2 plans. He went alone and took a decent 4 point. Not a bad year for him two 4 points in Ca.
The reason the Junior hunt subject came up was because we are already trying to maximize his son's hunting opportunities with us as a group.
Yesterday we were discussing this years applications and a possible out of state hunt. If his son plays travel ball October will be tough on him and me. He might let him do it anyway, just not sure yet. His son has also been asked to play football all year. If one son travels how to you dedicate equal time to the other son? You cannot have an entire family revolve around one child and ignore the other one.
As far as my buddy goes who traveled with his son his son was never really a hunter and still isn't. Travel ball was good for them because they did something together.

My son and I get along fine he calls me 5-10 times per week.

Last edited:

Top Bottom