Your Advice needed!

ozstriker22

Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in San Diego, but a good friend of mine just moved to Chicago and invited me to come visit her. I have always wanted to hunt whitetail and this is my opportunity!!! Her family owns 40+ Acres of land in or near Henry IL and I have permission to hunt on it when I come visit. There is both deer and turkey on the property. She doesn't really know much about hunting. She just said: "Pick your season and come out to visit me."

Here is my question to you guys:

What season should I hunt?

- Is it hard to get drawn for a tag?

- I don't care if I hunt muzzleloader, rifle, shotgun, or bow... I'm looking for the most success at getting drawn, and the most success of shooting an animal.

- It would be cool if the deer season I apply for overlapped turkey or pheasant or something small so if I tag out early I can keep shooting stuff :)

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance and may the Hunting Gods smile on you.

Jesse

jim in illinois

Reaction score
Jesse, here is a good link to the dnr page with alot of info and prices, residents can buy archery tags over the counter and I dont gun hunt so sorry I cant be much help with the lottery info.
illinois dnr deer hunting info
Henry is only about 75 miles straight west of me, the exwife went to college near there, some good hunting back then.(been about 12 yrs) Pheasant hunting was excellent at the time but havent been there since. Deer season runs with upland here for the most part and if the property is any good you should have a good time. If the hunting is bad let me know and I'll meet ya halfway and buy a fellow hunter a few adult beverages. Dont get too many jho'ers in this neck of the woods. I bet we can even talk inchr into meetin us somewheres. Let me know if I can help ya out anymore. Jim

P.S. If ya happen to come out in Dec. I could probably hook a brother up with a helluva goose hunt:)

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
hey OZ, i always liked mid. November, i think it is the best
time to take out a mature eastern trophy whitetail with a bow
, their guard is down big
time for the rut walking around aimlessly all day and night looking for some action! good luck on your future hunt.................tra

ozstriker22

Reaction score
I'm already getting pretty excited about this trip. I have always wanted to hunt white tails. I hope I can pull a deer off of this property. I have taken a large sow before but never a deer... This year I hope I get the chance!

And after I tag out... Go hit up some of the little townie bars for adult beverages, grab some Chicago style Deep Dish pizza, and have a blast!

Jim I hope I get the chance to meet up with ya when I'm back there!

It would be really cool to roll up a couple of seasons in one... And my buddy from Montana says goose hunting is his favorite... Maybe if the season's overlap I could just bring my shotgun and go for both deer and geese :)

Oz.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom