• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Your best hunting knife?

New Pig Hunter

I'll post here, but I'm embarassed to do so: I've never yet shot my first pig and therefore haven't had a chance to try out my knives for field dressing and skinning chores.

One o' these days I'll properly field test one of these:
SOG Tigershark
SOG Seal 2000
SOG Bowie

Cheers,

Carl

stuffed

I got a Gerber Gator Non-Serrated Drop point. Its got a non-slip rubber-type hand and a hi-tech ATS-34 S-Steel blade. I'm so attached to it, that I spent an hour going back to get it after I accidently left it stuck in a tree, while pulling ticks off me.
I've skinned and gutted about four decent size deer with it and its still very sharp.

- stuffed.

MIBowhunter

My favorite is my Buck 110, nice balance and feel. I also like the knife that buckmasters was giving away a few years ago by Gerber, small but very sharp. I got the Camilus (sp) this time and the blade seems fine but the handle is cheap plastic, in my opion it is a step down from the Gerber they were giving out.

My .02 cents, so Buck 110 #1 in my book.

MIB

hamradiofan

Buck 110. Best darn knife made for the money in my opinion. I have used the same one since late 70's. 10 deer and other miscellaneous game, and still my favorite.

Goodranger

My favorite everday work knives are Schrade Bear Paw and Buck 110, and seems the Schrade will take a sharper edge. Lately, though, I am carrying the Leatherman Wave as my daily hip companion,and the plain blade is large enough for most of my needs, but I would not use it for field dressing larger game (deer, bear, pig) unless I was in a pinch. The cleanup would be a pain, and it is not the best hand grip, either.

This fall, I started carrying a Browning Sportsman knife with 3 blades. A nice 3.25" plain blade, an old-style "guthook" which is a knife blade with a blunt, rounded tip. and the 3rd is a saw blade that goes through the pelvic bone like butter. I like this knife because it is lighter than the formentioned knives, plus gives me much more utility. I used it to field dress 3 deer this fall,
and I fell in love with it.
Cleanest, quickest jobs I have ever done,
and I have done a few in my 30+ years of hunting.

Goodranger

almtnman

I have a lot of knives of all kinds. The best ones that I like for hunting are a couple. One is a sheath knife made by Western cutlery. It's very old and looks like one of the old Marble knives. The leather sheath is almost wore out and I need to get a new one for it. I've been thinking of making one myself as I used to do leather work, but places to buy leather is getting hard to find.

The other is a Swiss Army Soldier that I use when skinning small places or areas that the sheath knife is too large for.

greg vs

Favorite fixed blade: A Randall Bird and Trout. Done several elk, several pigs, and a few deer with it. A couple of swipes on a stone and it's sharp again. Second favorite: Randal 23 GameMaster=same basic shape but bigger and a little heavier.

Favorite "all-round carry knife"=a Gerber AB 3.0 or 3.5. Bought it to take to the jungles of Central America (I'm a wildlife biologist)==There was a guerrilla war going on in the areas we were at and I figured if it got confiscated, no big deal. Loved it so much, I bought a couple more (all were on sale for less than $20!!)==carry it every day. Small enuff not to upset security in the Federal building where I work but does most everything I need in the field. Also, usually carry a leatherman (don't know the model=the basic one) in my day pack.

Nic Barca

My first hunting knife was a Buck Woodsman or a Buck Special (leaning towards the special). I used it for gutting skinning and deboning while I was starting out and it worked fine but I think I would simply have used it to stick pigs if I had it today. It was replaced by a Buck Vanguard which served me faithfully through many animals. But I was terrible at sharpening and eventually the knife fell into disrepair. I really regret now giving it away but maybe my brother still has it. I replaced it with a Gerber Freeman which was initially scary sharp, the sharpest think I had ever held, but dulled quickly and I could never get it sharp again. It fell into disrepair and I hid it in the closet until recently selling it at a garage sale I think... unless it's still in the closet. Replaced it with some cheap fold out knives which would always loose very quickly. My pig hunting friends always had these little old timer skinners that were very rusty but always did the job. I never noticed them in the store until one day when I was looking for a new flip out knife. There was the last one in an old pakage. Came with oil and a small sharpening stone and a rag. Well to this day I still have the same little bottle of oil and the knife is slightly rusty but very trusty. Costed 25 dollars here in Hawaii and says SHRADE USA 152 on the blade. Looks like the attached picture. I see them on sale on ebay for 5 cents hahaha. I figure it's a piece of dirt and the blade was worn more on one side than the other when I bought it. Still I am fond of it and right now, I am learning about sharpening knives so I just put a new edge on it. I regret getting rid of the other knives. The Vanguard was a good knife. I use the old timer for gutting, skinning, and deboning pigs and goats when I'm out in the field.

[attachment=30294:attachment]

Attachments

mefishme

I am a butcher, i cut meat up to 70 hrs a week. I love knives and have a small collection of them. Like Buck, Shcrade, Leatherman, CKT, Puma, Cammilis and other makes. I always wanted a Marbles Ideal hunter. I just got one. What a knife!!! But when i hunt for deer i have a Buck 110 and a fixed blade on the cartridge belt. I was at a gun show here in Maine and show a knife that really caught mt attention.... It was made in the Allagash wilderness here in maine. The blade was found stuck in a old log in the Allagash, the handle was from a buck shot in Pa. and the finger guard was from a flint lock rifle. Iw looks old and can and does have a story. I think this is the knife that i will carry this fall.

Schoettgen

Like some of you, I have collected quite a few knives over the years. But the one I always carry is my 110 buck, it is always on my side. For some reason it just fits my hand better than the others.

ducslayer

Kershaw..Holds a edge,sharpens easy to a raszor edge.Been useing the same three inch blade,drop point, for years, try one you will love it.

EvBouret

Graham Nash gave me a Grohmann Original that he took with him on part of the AT in 70something. I liked this knife a lot but lost it. I forgot to zip my pocket shut and it fell out sometime while I was hiking by GPS to some remote spot to kill at outpost of invasive species.

Buck 119 is a good knife too. Ive had this knife for a long time.

Attachments

swampy tim

I have a nice little Gerber I bought at the navy Exchage while stationed on Guam, back in the late 80's it is a folding lock blade with a hard would handle, looks like walnut. I have used thst thing on every thing from work related tasks (removeing calcium pipe insulation) to cleaning fish and dressing dear. I am totaly impresed with the quality of theis American made mass produced knife. S/T

Gomer76825

I love my ol timers, skinned my first deer with one and have used very few others since. I really only use them on whitetail and Axis, not sure how it would fare on larger game, but does a dandy job on all my stuff. I did use one of the cutco with the Double D edge and liked it, just a little bigger that what I was brought up on. It was in my truck on day and someone decided they needed more that I did
, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I may try to pick up another someday.

Frank X. Morris

Howdy All,
I recently got a Wayne Hendrix Pathfinder with Desert Ironwood handle. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it sure does look nice :)

fish4dinner

My first hunting knife was a Buck Woodsman or a Buck Special (leaning towards the special). I used it for gutting skinning and deboning while I was starting out and it worked fine but I think I would simply have used it to stick pigs if I had it today. It was replaced by a Buck Vanguard which served me faithfully through many animals. But I was terrible at sharpening and eventually the knife fell into disrepair. I really regret now giving it away but maybe my brother still has it. I replaced it with a Gerber Freeman which was initially scary sharp, the sharpest think I had ever held, but dulled quickly and I could never get it sharp again. It fell into disrepair and I hid it in the closet until recently selling it at a garage sale I think... unless it's still in the closet. Replaced it with some cheap fold out knives which would always loose very quickly. My pig hunting friends always had these little old timer skinners that were very rusty but always did the job. I never noticed them in the store until one day when I was looking for a new flip out knife. There was the last one in an old pakage. Came with oil and a small sharpening stone and a rag. Well to this day I still have the same little bottle of oil and the knife is slightly rusty but very trusty. Costed 25 dollars here in Hawaii and says SHRADE USA 152 on the blade. Looks like the attached picture. I see them on sale on ebay for 5 cents hahaha. I figure it's a piece of dirt and the blade was worn more on one side than the other when I bought it. Still I am fond of it and right now, I am learning about sharpening knives so I just put a new edge on it. I regret getting rid of the other knives. The Vanguard was a good knife. I use the old timer for gutting, skinning, and deboning pigs and goats when I'm out in the field.

[attachment=30294:attachment]
If you have an american made schrade old timer 152 with a high carbon blade that knife is worth a little more than 5 cents. those guys go for as much as $50 in good condition at a lot of knife shows. I've seen some of the old 165's for as much as $200.

Last edited:

T.R.

This Schrade USA fixed blade is my all time favorite knife for big game hunting. Shape of blade, length, balance, and quality are reasons I love it.

TR

Last edited:

Top Bottom