Your Biggest Bass

Mr.Redneck

Banned
Reaction score
Both of my bigguns were caught in private ponds here in OHIO, even after living in GA for four yrs. while in the Army. I came back up home just about 2mos. before getting out and linked up with an Army buddy I hadn't seen in over 2yrs. to fish in pond of his uncles, and on my first cast, using my favorite, Berkley PowerBait Ribbontail, I caught a 22 1/2 inch 8#4oz. bass. My buddies uncle was probably as excited as I was, and told me that was the biggest bass anyone had caught in his pond in the 30yrs. he'd had. I couldn't even think about keeping him, I just told that old-timer "Well, then I guess you'd better catch him again." and thanked him for letting me fish in his pond. He later told my buddy that I was a "good fisherman," and that I "should've kept that fish." That compliment weighed on me better than that beautiful bass would've on my wall, so I continue in search of one that will hang there. The other one was similar scenario, except, my one buddy's dad didn't want us taking anything out of the pond so a 7#er or so was turned back. I just love catching them. Would love to get into a spring trio to Florida and get me a nice 10+pounder for the wall.

ringneckus

Reaction score
my biggest was 11-9 i flipped out of the delta. The next two were 10-4 and 10-6 caught 50 feet apart on the delta on a crank. the delta and folsom have been good to me with many fish in the 5-9 pound range. i still want a 10+ on a frog. could you imagine that blowup?

cordell

Reaction score
Well it's time for a fish story. My largest fish to date has been a 6lb 13oz, but let me begin the story of the one that got away. My nephew and I were fishing a neighbores 5 acre pond when I hooked a nice bass on a Wee R crankbait. My nephew asked how big do you think it is and I said oh not that big, maybe 2lbs it's not pulling very hard, it was at this point the drag started singing and I said boy was I wrong this is a monster. The fish made a short run got under a fallen tree, wrapped around a branch and snapped the 10lb test line
. The next day we went back with a neighbor who decided to fish from the shore about 20yds from where I had hooked the fish the previous day. My nephew and I proceeded to fish the shoreline and after 1 hour of fishing we had picked up a few small (1 to1 1/2lb) bass. As we turned the boat and headed back across the pond to where my neighbor was fishing I made a cast directly at the area 50 feet in front of him and BAM!!!! It was at this point I said "wrong move this time sucker!!!! because I knew there were no trees in the area between me an where the fish had made the strike. He made a run up the shoreline and slightly towards the boat and here he came!!!!!!!!! straight up out of the pond and tossed the hook. My nephew said he came out of the water 2 feet, my neighbor said it was the biggest he had ever seen, and I just sat back and put my head in my hands! This guy was a MONSTER!!!! My nephew who helped his father get an 8lb 8oz bass untangled from a stump (and is now on the den wall) said it was much bigger than his dads. All I know is it was huge!!! Needless to say I spent the rest of the summer trying to catch it but with no luck!! I am however addicted to catching this bass, so I will be out again in the spring. Any one else have a similar story
Take care and God bless. cordell

Tx_Hoghunter

Reaction score
My biggest is 14.56 pounds cought from Gibbons Creek (it is a lake not a creek) in Texas. I put it in the lunker program for the state of Texas to try and spawn the fish. She never spawned and I let her go back into the lake.

-john

Attachments

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Dang Tx Hoghunter. That thing looks like it would swallow you. I wouldn't go swimmin in that creek.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
200 pound Black Sea Bass, June 1981, Uncle Sam Bank, Mexico on the boat Royal Polaris. I was 17 years old. You guys didn't say what kind of Bass!!! Ed F

tattooedfreak36

Reaction score
My biggest is 9lbs. 2 oz. out of a little tiny community pond in Irvine, CA. Caught on a weightless 4" finesse worm and 6# test. That fish was work. LOL. I've caught several 5# and 6# bass out of that same little tiny lake. There are actually several WON bass fisherman that live near it and they keep their practice fish in their live wells and put them in the place. So, makes for good fishing. But gotta know your stuff, they ain't easy.

Rob

Orygun

Reaction score
Practice fish??? Hmmm. anyway, for a real adventure try any of the park lakes in Los Angeles for bass. most of the effort on those places are for the planted catfish and trout. if the bass survive the algae, the homeless using the places as baths and urinals, motor oil dumping, and the odd piranha or other toothy exotics, they can get pretty darn big.

tattooedfreak36

Reaction score
Practice fish: as in they went to one of the bigger lakes to "practice" for an upcoming tournament. So, they put a few in the live well and bring them home to release in the local lake.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Shhhhhhh. That's illegal in Ca. Ed F

Mel Carter

Reaction score
My biggest at about 6#, came from Clear lake in California.

I tell you guys what, those mounts you have to just plane awesome. Got to get me one of those

bzzboyz

Reaction score
This is the one I was refering to in my previous post./

doorman

Reaction score
My biggest large mouth is 10 # 2 he is hanging on the wall at my office. I caught him at the Lakes of Danbury in Texas.Hey BZZZboy who taught you how to fish freshwater?Lets see< if I remember you used to catch a lot of trees
not to talk about a rod and reel you lost?
Doorman

bzzboyz

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Hey BZZZboy who taught you how to fish freshwater?Lets see< if I remember you used to catch a lot of trees  not to talk about a rod and reel you lost?
Doorman[/b]
Yes. I'll admit it to all here. Doorman taught me how to freshwater fish. And yes I caught a lot of "tree fish" to start off. I was used to saltwater where you rare back and cast as far as you can. It took a little while for me to get the hang of the finesse casting involved in freshwater. I made him have to turn around a many a time to get me un hooked till he finally started tellin me "just bust the line, I'm sick of turnin around". And I did loose a rod once. I was pulling a fish in to the boat. I layed my rod down next to me, removed the lure from the fish, threw the fish back in and chunked my lure in the water. I didn't notice that my rod had fallen in the water while I was removing the hook. He wouldn't go back and even let me try and find it nor would he stop laughing at me.

stumpsitter

Reaction score
Caught this 10lb1ounce, 23 inch,lm, march 4 2004,while fishing for crappie with a ultralight spooled with 4lb test.I was using what now has become my" magic bait" for bass,crappie ,bluegill,hybrids,trout,& big ones too.a soon a the lure hit the water there was a little swirl then my line whent from the edge of the bank out towards deeper water & the standing timber.She went to the left &under the canoe,pulling drag the whole time,i could feel her going around a tree & she got hung up.After i got by bearings straight and caught my breath ,i got unwraped from the tree but when i got her up to the surface the line was wedged in a limb that was between me and the fish.I was able to reach the limb and free the line and land her.She had swallowed the bait.It was the beginning to a wonderful spring,i caught 6 other fish between7-9lbs but none bigger than this,makes me wanna go straighten the tackle box up & respool the poles,come on sunshine

Attachments

Top Bottom