Your IR Settup

pachanga

Reaction score
To the guys that have an IR set up I need some help. I have modified a D-380 camera, using a PIX Controller RSS board, spy outlet 67 LED Array that is being powerd by 8 c-cell battery's, and a IR filter material to change the camera flash light to IR light.

Well I'm not happy
with the pictures I'm getting. as below you can see.

Any Ideas that might help.
What are your setups?

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

D Letho

Reaction score
Dan ,

Otto Encore and my self do not use a 67 LED array . We have a vivitar 2000 flash with Jons flash board . We use three layers of the Edmunds long pass IR lens .

Focus does not seem bad on it . What IR lens did you place over your 380 flash . Some are thicker than others and will not be as bright . I know Otto does not use the flash from the 380 but , I do . Not sure if Encore uses it or not .

I think you are the first person to try a LED array . We all use the slave flash . That might be as good as you are going to get with the array you are using .

Don

pachanga

Reaction score
Thanks Don

I have a 1/8" thick piece of IR filter material for the D-380 flash as I want to try it by it's self and see how good it is.

The camera focus is good.

I had cracked the front len's of the array and I'm trying some different materials in font of the len. Don't know if this may have a factor. I've got a gen 3 night vision unit that I can tell the difference in brightness.

I think I need to start looking at your type of setup as I've seen your IR pictures and the look great!!!!

Dan

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Try it without the camera flash. The camera is still trying to set the white balence, ISO, etc based on what it see's and with two different IR sources, something might be confusing it. I can ger pretty good pictures out to 30 feet with the same 67 led array.

bat

Reaction score
Here is the same picture with just adding a little brighter to the picture. Would not be bad if you can get it lighten up just a tad more. Hope you don't mind me editing it a little Dan. Looks like you have a small herd there.
bat

Attachments

steel

Reaction score
I am using the reconoutdoors talon right now and am getting real clear and bright pics to about 35ft+. About 17ft-25ft is the sweet spot for perfect IR lighting and super clear images. I am going to build a IR homebrew game cam myself here soon as I get my next pay check I will start buying the parts to start building. Any tips on building a IR cam would be nice to save me the time and trouble you are havingl.

pachanga

Reaction score
ArkansasElkHunter, I tried it without a flash before I put in the filter but I was geting blured pictures as the camera was trying to let light in and the shutter was not fast enought. I don't have any examples of this at home as I will try to post one from work in the AM. I'm going to exsperment tonight with some stuff.

Bat, you can modify any of my pictures at any time as thats one more way of trying

Dan

D Letho

Reaction score
Steel ,

Can you post any pics from that Talon cam ? I know someone looking to buy one . I looked over there site and the night pics on there are not that good .

I guess $450 is not bad for a store bought cam . I do love the temp. feature on it . Thats a nice added bonus .

Any pics you could post for him would be great !

Here is a pic from there site .

Don

steel

Reaction score
All I have on my computar is some yard testing pics I will try them. I should have some deer pics later this week as I have only been using the cam near my house on a creek and some corn getting some coon pics to get a feel for the cam and how it does good and bad and just deleted those pics today off the card. I also just couldn't put the $449 cam out there in the woods yet until I finsh up my lock box for it in the next couple of days to be safe.

steel

Reaction score
Looks like the pics came up OK. My night pics have been much,much better than those on the talon web site. I think whoever sent those pics in had the cam mounted to low on the tree shooting most of the IR on the ground in front of the target. The chairs in the night pic are about 25-30 ft away and you can see it is very well lit up. I find 17- 20ft to be prime so far. under 10ft and you get some glare from the IR leds and over 30-35 the IR starts to fade out. Still I think your night pics on your homebrew IR cam are better but this is the best IR commerical cam I have seen so far. Still a good color digital/ white flash kicks it's butt for I think at night for pure pic clarity but I guess the IR is a trade off in Stealth.Day time is just as clear but black and white.

D Letho

Reaction score
Steel do you mind if I send them pics to the person I know thinking about buyingone of them ?

You night pic is 100 times better than the site pics .

Thanks Don

Terry

Reaction score
Don,,,,, I agree and thank you. Steel's pictures are much better than the ones at the site.

steel

Reaction score
Feel free to use them I don't mind. I will try to get a few more with some game for you to check out

steel

Reaction score
Here is another pic I found stored. It is my lab at 19ft measured. I had the cam to low as you can see the IR all over the ground part of the eary learning process. I now set it at 2.5-3ft high and it stops that and improves IR range. One another note the IR is a total glare on a person pic as it reflects bad of the white skin? I took a few pics of myself and thought this camera sucks but then on several animals it worked perfect.

pachanga

Reaction score
It looks like the 67 led array is not working right or somthing as I did not have much time last night to mess with it but here is a picture without the array as it was unhooked as it's from the d-380 flash with ir filter material over it only. It looks like the first picture I posted.

ArkansasElkHunter, What type of batteries are you using to run your array?

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

Latest Posts

Top Bottom